What do we have? Red Golden, Dark Throated, Lady Amherst, a mix or throwback?????

We got these from 2 different people, 1,3,4 and 6 are 10 months old, 2 and 5 are 9 months old

1- Red Golden Male
2- Red Golden Hen
3- Red Golden Hen
4- I thought Red Golden Hen for sure at first- but then the legs threw me off, I'd need a closer look to see if it is Amherst or hybrid but I'm guessing hybrid (red w/ amherst crossing).
5- Red Golden Males
6- Red Golden Male, could have some color mutation (ie: darkthroat) or may be hybrid but I'm not sure. All are just beginning to get their colors, I might be able to tell with a closer picture.

Last edited:
What part of the body do you want closer picture of? Do you want to see 4 & 6 only or more of all of them.
We thought we got 3 RG and 1 Dark throat out of the 1st batch of eggs.
The second were weeks old when we got them and all should have been Lady Amherst.

What part of the body do you want closer picture of? Do you want to see 4 & 6 only or more of all of them.
We thought we got 3 RG and 1 Dark throat out of the 1st batch of eggs.
The second were weeks old when we got them and all should have been Lady Amherst.

The only one I see that might be Amherst is #4. It's possible 6 is darkthroat. If they keep them all together (Amherst with RG's) you likely have hybrids and not very good bloodlines. Amherst should have slate legs -not yellow and no gold in their feathering. They should be more greyish with brown striping. Also the bars in the feathers are wider than RGs.
It's a shame many people out there just throw them all together, there are very few pure strains of amherst or RG left in the world...

If you can get a good close up of their heads I can probably tell you more about them. I'm sure about all but 4 & 6. Do it from the side so I can see around the eye and ear areas clearly

I raise zoo stock if you are ever interested in preservation, breeding or maybe showing . I have San Diego Zoo strain x imports from Chengdu Zoo in China.
I will be selling their young this season.

Sorry it took so long t get the pictures of the hen with blue legs #4. According to who we got her from she is either RG or DT. Please let me know what you think she is, or is not.

SADLY THEY ALL LOOK LIKE GOLDEN X AMHURST MUTTS?
hu.gif
( I DONT DO CROSSES, BUT IF THATS YOUR THING GO FOR IT)

KEEP IN MIND ITS VERY DIFFICULT TO TELL FOR SURE UNTIL THEY COMPLETE THE COLOR CHANGE ONCE MATURE, BUT I SEE LOTS OF TELL TALE SIGNS... GOLDENS THE LEGS SHOULD BE BRIGHT YELLOW, NEVER GREENISH, BLUE OR BLACK ~ THATS AN AMHURST TRAIT. DARK THROATS ARE WIDELY REGUARDED AS BEING A GOLDEN/ AMHURST HYBRID

I'd have to say they are all mixed also.It's hard to find pure birds any more,with everyone trying to produce a"new"color.And this is what is passed on as pure birds,so sad.Not to say they aren't nice birds,but I'm sure you are looking for pure birds.
In N.H.,Tony.

I have to agree too.

They will still be beautiful though, just not pure. If you aren't planning on breeding/spreading them around,then don't worry about it and enjoy them. After all, they do look healthy and it is not very easy to find pure amherst or RG's anymore. I'm not even sure where I'll be able to find new blood that won't screw up my projects.

Back
Top Bottom