What do with unwanted roosters?

chickenlady44

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
I have 7 roosters to 7 hens. I need to get rid of some roosters but have no idea what to do with them. Eating them is out of the question. I tried to sell them but no takers. Any ideas? Anyone know of any places in Oklahoma City that will take roosters?

Free always works for me on Craigslist.
smile.png

I gave my extra roos away while they were still babies. Advertised them on the bulletin board at the post office and library branch. I had intended to ask no questions about their future dinner invitations, but as it turned out all three boys got a home with 80 hens and are living the good life.
Unless they are a special show quality bird, I don't know anyone around here that would actually pay for a rooster.

Thanks so much guys! I just posted them free on Craigslist. I was worried before that if I posted for free they would become someone's dinner, but my poor little hens are getting so beat up that I can't worry about that anymore.

come on over to the okie thread! There are bunches of us. There are many folks that buy roos and such but if you are putting limitations on what they do with it once it leaves your hands...yeah...you aren't gonna have many takers. That is one of the things you have to have planned with chickens. You get boys and girls and nobody wants that many boys just hanging around.

I agree. Craigslist. So far all mine have gone to pet/breeder home situations but you never know. Once they are out of my hands I have no control over their fate. They certainly live longer and happier than they would have at the hatchery. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom