What do you all think about Euthanasia?

When a government argues in favour of either assisted suicide or euthanasia, as the British Health Minister recently did, I am suspicious. I'm especially suspicious when there is no great public demand for it. Legalising either as a voluntary act is fraught with difficulty in the detail. If that's not enough, I have a suspicion that governments around the world will eventually allow it. They will first create a public demand and that's what I think the British Health Minister is up to. Given the probability that economies will struggle in the future to cope with the cost of a growing, aging and retired population, I would not be surprised if a voluntary legal arrangement did not gradually become compulsory.

That last is my main reservation about a change in the law to allow either voluntary euthanasia or assisted suicide. My other reservation is that, even with clear rules, it could be misused by families and doctors. Britain has an example of a General Practitioner who killed many patients, against their will, for years without being detected. voluntary euthanasia or assisted suicide, he may never have been caught:

That is the kicker is the possible abuse either by Government or the private citizen is a large argument against it. Also some people are opposed to the assisted part of it where a person is more active than prescribing extra meds or whatever that the one who wants to die must have the final hand in it.

I don't know where anyone would get the idea that King George V was euthanased? But i can give a guess. This is not only contrary to law but also to the teachings of the Church or England, whose monarch is the supreme head. Anyone who believes they were annointed by God, as happens at a coronation, into the role of King/Queen, would not take their own life or agree to it surely, lest they imperil their immortal soul?

I don't know where anyone would get the idea that King George V was euthanased? But i can give a guess. This is not only contrary to law but also to the teachings of the Church or England, whose monarch is the supreme head. Anyone who believes they were annointed by God, as happens at a coronation, into the role of King/Queen, would not take their own life or agree to it surely, lest they imperil their immortal soul?
I actually remember reading that some years ago. facts are some times lost like the fact that Dwight Eisenhower was publicly baptized in a methodist church after his election.

Google around and you will find out about it.

The British royal family isn't known for it's adherence to the law or, for that matter, the requirement to pay the same taxes as other British citizens. The family is no more than a group of people living off taxpayers and income from investments around the world who got there by intermarriage and intrigue. Their history includes far more murders and mysterious deaths than any normal family so one more would not be a surprise. I didn't even mention the mysterious death of Princess Diana again! The senior royals form a dysfunctional family that is a bad example to the rest of Britain.

Forget the Church of England bit too. You must know that it was created by a king who wanted a divorce but was denied permission by the Pope. So, that institution is a creation of man, not some imagined deity.

I think we have both lived long enough to have doubts about conspiracy theories. Whether it be Hitler's 'suicide', the grassy knoll, or the mysterious other car in a Paris underpass, there are always those who find it difficult to reach the obvious conclusion when a person of renown dies, particularly at what might look like an opportune time for others with a vested interest.

I merely point out that to the best of my knowledge and belief, a King/ Queen accepts the notion that they rule by divine right. They therefore must fulfill the role that destiny has placed upon them. If they are head of the church as well there is more reason to suppose that they will follow the teachings of the church. It is immaterial which church and why it was formed.

It is impossible to say that there are more murders in the history of the Royal family than in an average British family, since nothing is generally documented about average folk. Our pasts may be thick with murders and intrigue, who knows? I will however google the death of King George V.

Believe what you are told to believe if you wish. I prefer to make up my own mind.

The British royal family no more rules (they don't rule anyway, they are an expensive tourist attraction) by divine right than I fly to the moon every night. Check their family tree and you will see that they come from a long line of inbred miscreants.

thaiturkey you miss my point. I an saying that a King/Queen would believe that they were in this position by divine right therefore would not take the decision to end their own life. I nowhere say that this is my view. I don't know why you suppose that anyone in Britain is told what to believe either. making up your own mind is fine as long as it is based on fact as far as we can know them and not the hysterical outpourings of the gutter press.

What do you all think about Euthanasia?

We have a guy here who has locked-in-syndrome. He is challenging the medical profession for the “right” to die. In other words he wants someone to kill him because he can't cope with the disabilities he now has and what way that will and is affecting him, his life and his family. Perhaps I am missing something here – but maybe he isn’t as “locked-in” as he thinks he is as he is on Twitter and Facebook etc. And can communicate by using his computer? It would be interesting what others think on this subject?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18495973

Oesdog

Sounds like a form of suicide assisted suicide if you ask me, perhaps mentally he has some illness or is unstable enough to making the right decision, I'm pro life and would be against ending his life but then I don't know all of the circumstances or what's going on in his head.

thaiturkey you miss my point. I an saying that a King/Queen would believe that they were in this position by divine right therefore would not take the decision to end their own life. I nowhere say that this is my view. I don't know why you suppose that anyone in Britain is told what to believe either. making up your own mind is fine as long as it is based on fact as far as we can know them and not the hysterical outpourings of the gutter press.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

I don't believe that the royals think that they have their jobs by divine right any more than I believe it. They know that they are in their privileged positions as a result of past wars, assassinations, the propaganda of clerics and, more recently, marriage. I believe that they are quite capable of bumping off their own if it suits them and protects their jobs. Their church was created for convenience centuries ago and the heir to the thrown studies Islam.

Their are still people in Britain who think that the queen is a wonderful lady with an undeniable right to her job, despite the dreadful family that she has produced. So, the propaganda does still work. I, for one, don't accept what the press says without question, whether they support the royals or criticise them. There are better ways to find out what those people are up to.

Sounds like a form of suicide assisted suicide if you ask me, perhaps mentally he has some illness or is unstable enough to making the right decision, I'm pro life and would be against ending his life but then I don't know all of the circumstances or what's going on in his head.

I think that most of us are 'pro-life'! Claiming the moral high ground with a catch phrase achieves nothing.

I am undecided about this issue because I can see the logic of all the reasoned points of view I have read and heard. It would be easier for me to take a fixed view if I believed either that no-one should be able, legally, to ask for assistance to end his or her desperately untenable life or if I believed that anyone who wanted out could be bumped off by a willing medic. I believe neither extreme because the issue is more complex than that and a very personal one for the people concerned. There are also some important legal issues to be considered. I prefer to listen, learn and think with my mind as open as possible. If I am ever in the situation that confronts some of the poor souls I have read about, I might finally make my decision! In the meantime, I don't believe that I have the right to dictate to them, neither will I put myself in a 'moral' pigeon hole so as to avoid the need to think about it.

Back
Top Bottom