What do you do about Poop that sticks?

orpington13

Songster
5 Years
Mar 3, 2014
2 of our hens currently have poop that is stuck to their vent feathers and you can see when eer you look at them from the back. Does anyone have any suggestions on cleaning it?

I will be giving my RIR a "bath" today for the same reason. I get a dish tub (one we normally use for camping.....has now been moved to chicken hot tub :). Put warm water in there, put my lady in it and let her soak for a couple of minutes then I get a couple of drops of baby shampoo (this is what I was told to use by her previous owner but I'm not sure that it is even needed) and clean her bum. Rinse and dry her with a thick towel. You can blow dry them if it is cold, but I just use a towel because I don't want to deal with electrical cords, etcetera.

They'll eventually preen it off.....unless they are ill and have constantly runny poops or their vent is blocked, then they need a bath and some medical attention at the very least.

I don't do anything
smile.png
As aart said, they eventually take care of it themselves. It's not harmful or dangerous, so I just let nature deal with it.

Actually, it can be harmful. Or at least uncomfortable. If the poo is left on too long, it will cause ammonia burns and could lead to other icky infections. That being said, my birds also take care of it themselves. But, they don't have poop caked on their behinds. It's usually just a little dingle berry or a streak where it rolled down the feathers back there. If its real bad, I would bathe her or cut it off with some scissors.

Yeah it really is some nasty poo stains. Our one chicken had since she was a chick, and it lasted until we recently got rid of her

Back
Top Bottom