What do you do with Day old roosters?

Baxter-Shamo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
England.
If you hatch out eggs that can be sexed at day old, Obviously you don't want the males so what do you do with them?
keep? feed and re-home? Kill at day old?

Would like to hear others opinions, Especially opinions on killing day old chicks.
Thank you.

I didn't put in the ad that I'm going to kill and feed the chicks to my ferrets. I just stated on this thread that any left over will be fed to the ferrets. I've obviously upset a few people on this thread, That isn't what I plan to do. I refuse to keep the roosters for the simple fact is I cannot afford to feed something that is worthless to me and others, I've tried to get rid of the roosters, And thats all I can do apart from hope someone takes them for the right reasons. Sadly, others left over will have to be dispatched, Thats just a way of life I'm afraid.
The thing is, no matter what you do, or what you say, someone somewhere will be offended. You have to do what's best for you and your operation.

I could never kill any of my birds, I'm actually making an all rooster coop for the roosters that I have remaining. They are just to hard on the hens, but in my opinoin they make much better pets than the hens. The roosters I keep are so friendly and sweet and beautiful. I put any roosters that I can't keep on craigslist, and they did go surprising fast. I was worried about people just wanting to butcher them, but a bunch of people came and I got rid of all 7 of them within 2 weeks. One went to a day care and many of them went to backyard flocks like mine. I think it depends on the breed and stuff as far as how fast they go, mine were very docile black cochins. I see how a rooster is economically a bad decision, but for a backyard flock like mine, I love them. So it really depends on your situation and your values. Roosters will eat food that costs you money, and if you want to go to a good home you may have to give them away for free. They don't produce eggs and they crow a lot, but for my values, I will not take a life. So no one can truly answer this question for you, you need to answer it yourself on what the right thing to do is given your situation and your values.

Long ago when I was really into breeding chickens most of my cockerels went to the needy neighbors. I lived a very poor area and the cockerels were a much needed source of protein. While I didn't charge for the young birds I was often given jellies, jams, corn, beans and other things from the garden in exchange.

Back then you helped your neighbor and they helped you.

I gave mine away for free and I kept one but he got aggressive so I also gave him away and he now has 26 girls instead of 6.

In my mind killing day old baby chicks is not okay and a bit cruel.

Not to mention a waste of time, effort and resources. Roosters go pretty quickly on craigslist.
You're correct I put mine up on Craigslist and within 3 days someone wanted him and they took him.. i just gave him away since he was aggressive.

Personally, I would keep them if I had the space or sell them on craigslist. I agree with amillecay, killing day old roosters seems a little inhumane and also a waste of a little life.

Cheers for the replies so far. I also feel a little uneasy killing any chickens, Especially day old chicks as its a huge waste of life.
Problem is, I'm incubating my yearly lot of eggs right now, They're Welsummers. They're due next week and Im disputing what I should do with the males. I could easily put them in our weekly poultry market but they'd just be culled and used as ferret food.

It depends upon what your goals are. I have no compunction about killing whether a day old chick, a 12 week old broiler, or a 3 year old spent hen. I eat meat, sell them for a profit, and eat their eggs.

Technically, my eggs are all fertilized so when I sell eggs to people to eat, I am killing a chick. If I were to properly incubate them for 21 days, I should get a 90% hatch rate. If the humidity is off, I might get a 50% hatch rate meaning I killed 40% in the egg.

I wonder if it would be as easy to give away 20 roosters as it is 1? If it took longer, it still costs to feed them. Am I any less cruel because I DON'T sex my chicks, but butcher and eat excess males?

Thoughts?

Shawn

Back
Top Bottom