What do you do with Day old roosters?

I agree with KYTinpusher I would certainly rather sell them off for the food than just kill them for no reason..

Let me start by saying we eat our excess roosters - much better tasting than commercially raised chickens, regardless of breed. But honestly, I would have no problem selling any excess chicks to someone to use for animal food, be it ferret, snake, whatever. Those animals have to eat, too. Circle of life and all. I would much prefer that than just to kill them for no reason other than you don't want to keep them and feed them out. That is a waste.
Thats great, And yes they do taste a lot better. I may keep a couple back to raise and eat, But not all, I couldn't. Too much to raise as stated.
I have ferrets and dogs myself, I could dispose of the dead chicks easily, and it'd be cheaper for me. Problem for me is I'd feel terrible killing the chicks at that age, especially that many. I'd have to get my father of cousin to cull them, But I'd still feel pretty bad for letting it happen. I'm not a cruel person.

@Ami, It may not be a lot to some, But I have about 60 eggs incubating right now (Candled and fertile).

Why do you think it cruel to kill an animal? Do you eat meat? Would you let an animal suffer just because you cannot do the deed?

I don't ever feel good about killing, unless I am hunting, but nothing I kill gets wasted. My hogs eat dead chicks as will the dogs and chickens themselves.

I am no cruel and I also respect your right not to kill, just wondering the thought process behind it. My girlfriend is like that and I don't understand that about her either.

Why do you think it cruel to kill an animal? Do you eat meat? Would you let an animal suffer just because you cannot do the deed?

I don't ever feel good about killing, unless I am hunting, but nothing I kill gets wasted. My hogs eat dead chicks as will the dogs and chickens themselves.

I am no cruel and I also respect your right not to kill, just wondering the thought process behind it. My girlfriend is like that and I don't understand that about her either.
Yes I eat meat. And I would do it if I had to, but we weren't talking about animals that are suffering we were talking about chicks that just hatched. And personally I just don't think it's okay to kill them when they have just been born, of course unless they are suffering in some way and can't be helped any other way.

Personally I'd just put them up in the Buy/Trade part of BYC or find somebody who wants a rooster. You'd be surprised how many people actually want to add a rooster to their flock and won't eat the rooster. I did this with one of mine and he's now living happily at a breeder's. I don't think a life should be that short lived, animal or otherwise.

If you can't keep them all, you are in it to make a profit, will eventually kill them and eat them if you keep some and thus further the circle of life and needlessly killing a chick is hard on you (as I think it should be), then I say sell them at the poultry market. whether they are ferret food or snake food, at least their deaths are not pointless. At least they are still furthering the circle of life. I eat meat, but I also respect them for giving their lives for the nourishment of my body. I abhorr meaningless deaths. And IMHO killing them and disposing of them is meaningless and cruel. Let them offer up their lives to perpetuate other lives.

Back
Top Bottom