What do you do with Day old roosters?

I don't sex mine at day old, mostly because my broodies don't usually like them to be handled.

I would never kill a day old chick, unless it was seriously I'll or deformed to the point that it couldn't live anyways. But, if you really aren't able to keep a roo, and don't have the time or experience to quickly butcher as an adult, it would probably be better in the long run to quickly kill it now. Around here, it's practically impossible to find real, loving homes for roos. I have been trying for months to sell some Campines that are sooooo sweet and loving, but everyone who acts interested would just butcher them. And a lot of the time, it was people that would probably not know how to do it properly (they were going to use a year old, lean breed rooster for meat in the first place. Ummm, it's not like they could fatten them up anymore, they're just a thin breed) and they probably would have suffered.

But if you see that they go pretty fast on your local craigslist, by all means, post an ad there.

I would hate to ever have to take the life of a baby chick, but if it is really going to be better for them, then it would be a better option. Because I would rather end it quickly then sell them for someone to butcher wrong or treat them badly and let them go through so much more suffering.

That's just my 2 cents.~Ms.B :)

Well I think that it would be best, if you're planning on killing them any way to let them get bigger so you could actually make a use out of them and use 'em for food. But they do have craigslist in the UK so you could sell them on there or give them away for free on Craigslist, that would be my pick to just get rid of them on Craigslist.
I'm not aloud to keep roosters to the point where they start crowing where I am either way. I'm trying to find another way out for the poor little fella's, But theres no where else for them to go if Im honest. If I do get rid of them I want them gone within the couple of days of them hatching, to save me food, time and space. The people who will take them off my hands will kill them straight away for ferret food as stated before. Either way they're doomed right?

I'm not aloud to keep roosters to the point where they start crowing where I am either way. I'm trying to find another way out for the poor little fella's, But theres no where else for them to go if Im honest. If I do get rid of them I want them gone within the couple of days of them hatching, to save me food, time and space. The people who will take them off my hands will kill them straight away for ferret food as stated before. Either way they're doomed right?
I'm not sure what you could do then but IF you did put them on craigslist are you sure that's what would happen to them?

It's the same around here. Nobody is willing to love and care for a rooster around here. Its either ferret food, dog food or treated cruel until its finally time to be eaten.
I wouldn't mind keeping 5-6 roosters until a fair enough age for disposal, But hell, I have a lot of eggs in the incubator and I'm expecting a lot of roosters and I'm not being funny, It's just going to cost too much on the food!

Let me start by saying we eat our excess roosters - much better tasting than commercially raised chickens, regardless of breed. But honestly, I would have no problem selling any excess chicks to someone to use for animal food, be it ferret, snake, whatever. Those animals have to eat, too. Circle of life and all. I would much prefer that than just to kill them for no reason other than you don't want to keep them and feed them out. That is a waste.

Yes. I am sure. I know keepers, breeders, ferreters, hunters & Most of them go to the weekly market to buy roosters, Young and old, cheap (we're looking 10 pence to 60 pence a rooster)- to keep up with food on their ferrets and dogs.
where I live (Country part of England) that's all they're good for.

I agree with KYTinpusher I would certainly rather sell them off for the food than just kill them for no reason..

I could never kill any of my birds, I'm actually making an all rooster coop for the roosters that I have remaining. They are just to hard on the hens, but in my opinoin they make much better pets than the hens. The roosters I keep are so friendly and sweet and beautiful. I put any roosters that I can't keep on craigslist, and they did go surprising fast. I was worried about people just wanting to butcher them, but a bunch of people came and I got rid of all 7 of them within 2 weeks. One went to a day care and many of them went to backyard flocks like mine. I think it depends on the breed and stuff as far as how fast they go, mine were very docile black cochins. I see how a rooster is economically a bad decision, but for a backyard flock like mine, I love them. So it really depends on your situation and your values. Roosters will eat food that costs you money, and if you want to go to a good home you may have to give them away for free. They don't produce eggs and they crow a lot, but for my values, I will not take a life. So no one can truly answer this question for you, you need to answer it yourself on what the right thing to do is given your situation and your values.

Let me start by saying we eat our excess roosters - much better tasting than commercially raised chickens, regardless of breed. But honestly, I would have no problem selling any excess chicks to someone to use for animal food, be it ferret, snake, whatever. Those animals have to eat, too. Circle of life and all. I would much prefer that than just to kill them for no reason other than you don't want to keep them and feed them out. That is a waste.
Thats great, And yes they do taste a lot better. I may keep a couple back to raise and eat, But not all, I couldn't. Too much to raise as stated.
I have ferrets and dogs myself, I could dispose of the dead chicks easily, and it'd be cheaper for me. Problem for me is I'd feel terrible killing the chicks at that age, especially that many. I'd have to get my father of cousin to cull them, But I'd still feel pretty bad for letting it happen. I'm not a cruel person.

@Ami, It may not be a lot to some, But I have about 60 eggs incubating right now (Candled and fertile).

Back
Top Bottom