What do you feed your goats?

My vet told me to cut out the alfalfa hay and feed 50/50 alfalfa pellets and a goat feed with a urinary acidifier. We don't have a lot of choices where I am, so they get purina noble goat feed (what our local feed supplier has available). She said use a grass hay. We have bermuda hay available, but the goats won't eat it. They just play with it and make a mess. Their pasture dries up about May, so they won't have any natural brows until late winter and spring. We are goat novices, and have 3 nubian goats..about 6 months old, 2 females and a buck. We also have a 4 month old nigeria dwarf goat.

I am concerned that the goats are not getting enough to eat. We give them a 3 quart scoop of alfalfa and 1 1/2 (3) quart scoop of the purina goat feed. I also sprinkle loose minerals and baking soda onto the feed as a topper (I left it free choice in the pen and they kept spilling it). Since they won't eat the bermuda grass, my husband cut the grass from the pasture (it is a mix and has wheat) and put it in a wheelbarrel for them in their pen. Again, they play with it and eat very little. They will however, eat oat hay and alfalfa until their hearts are content. They eat all the pellet feed immediately after I put it out, then gorge themselves on the hay, but sit at the fence and call to me the rest of the day like they are starving. I know goats are greedy, but the male seems to be the only one putting on weight. The females still seem small for their age.

The little goat gets fed outside of the pen, as he is very people friendy and the big goats don't let him near the food. He gets a bowl with alfalfa pellets, and purina goat feed. We let him out at least twice a day, sometimes a third, and he is allowed to eat all the pellets he wants. He prefers the goat feed and always eats that first before going after the alfalfa pellets. He does not prefer any hay except alfalfa, which we give him very little, but he browses on the property for leaves and grasses. I thought he was a healthy weight, but the vet says he looks a little thin. Yeah...more issues. I also give him baking soda and loose minerals.

To boot, the little goat is being treated for his 2nd bout with penumonia and the big goats have had a dry, persistant cough for 2 months that my vet does not seem to be concerned about. The little goat has gotten nuflor x2 doses, and we have had to start a second round. It kicked it for about 2 weeks, then the fever and cough came back, and the big goats have gotten no antibiotics, as the vet said to not give them unless he had a fever or when off feed, which they never had. I'm at a loss. Are they hungary, or greedy? What can I given them that they will eat besides the alfalfa? Why is the little goat consistently sick, and should I treat the big goats as well. So frustrating...every website gives us a different story and the vet is fixated on not giving antibiotics. We do not have a wet environment, so lung worms are unlikely, so I've been told. They have all been dewormed twice and had the CDT vaccine.

People say alfalfa causes urinary calculi in goats. If it really did, I should have seen a lot of urinary calculi in the 40 years I bred goats. Why? Because my goats, does, bucks, kids, and all were fed almost exclusively alfalfa hay because that was what was available. Other goats in the area, and there were and are a lot of them, were fed the same. Those breeders don't have trouble with calculi either. In all the years I had goats I only had one case of urinary calculi and that was in a buck kid who was in a pen where the automatic waterer failed and nobody noticed it until some time had passed. In other words, he was without water on a hot summer day for quite a while.

I did have Bermuda grass on my property and we regularly cut and baled it. The goats would not eat it so we fed it to the horses. They liked it.

I also feed Purina and they seem to like it and do good. I also used to feed alfalfa, but I had too many problems associated with feeding it. I guess I have a tendency to "over due" a good thing. I still did not think my goats were doing as well as they could. A friend told me a man in the Texas Hill Country who raises alot of goats. He stated that he started adding a product called Immuno Boost to his water. It is a water soluble all natural nutritional supplement that you can mix in your water. Since he raises goats on a large scale, he uses a proportioner to meter the Immuno Boost into his water supply. When I saw his goats I knew that I needed to do that as well. Now my goats will "stand up" to his. I don't know if I can mention the website (It is the only place to buy these products) www.innovatorsllc.net.

I am doing an assignment for animal care at college.
what do you feed each goat?

Last edited:
I am doing an assignment for animal care at college.
what do you feed each goat?
Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have two weathers. I wish I knew what the right spelling actually is for that term.... neutered male goats.

They get grass hay and pasture only. Aside from the loose minerals, baking soda, and fresh water that are always available free choice.

There is also a companion site to BYC called www.backyardherds.com where it's possible you might get some more answers as well.

Good luck on your assignment!
fl.gif

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have two weathers. I wish I knew what the right spelling actually is for that term.... neutered male goats.

They get grass hay and pasture only. Aside from the loose minerals, baking soda, and fresh water that are always available free choice.

There is also a companion site to BYC called www.backyardherds.com where it's possible you might get some more answers as well.

Good luck on your assignment!
fl.gif
Neutered/castrated male goats (and sheep) are wethers, so you almost got it right.
smile.png

Neutered/castrated male goats (and sheep) are wethers, so you almost got it right.
smile.png
Thanks!

I was thinking I've seen it spelled so many ways on the web. Then after you said that, I thought I wonder how they spell at at what I consider a "reputable" source (Fiasco Farms). And sure enough, they agree with you.
thumbsup.gif
So I can feel confident going forward....
smile.png

whoo hoo! .... the answer to my question i was looking for ..... i was told that boer goats just needed open land to survive on .... i have lots of grass/hay and was thinking of doing something with it ... but then someone came along and said that its necessary to feed them a balance diet .... they need this ,that and the next thing !!! ....puts a little doubt in a mans mind .... i'm lazy ..i'll admit to it ... i just want my grass cut for free and make some bucks on the side ...

whoo hoo! .... the answer to my question i was looking for ..... i was told that boer goats just needed open land to survive on .... i have lots of grass/hay and was thinking of doing something with it ... but then someone came along and said that its necessary to feed them a balance diet .... they need this ,that and the next thing !!! ....puts a little doubt in a mans mind .... i'm lazy ..i'll admit to it ... i just want my grass cut for free and make some bucks on the side ...
I had the same issue with people telling me what to feed.
barnie.gif

Some might have a slightly higher need depending on your pasture and if you were wanting more milk production.

Grassy alfalfa hay is higher in protein if you notice condition fading. Straight alfalfa is a bit too rich.

Goats will eat some grass, but they are more like deer and focus on brush and small trees for the most part.

I don't know if unfixed goats need the baking soda, but for fixed male goats it is important to avoid calculi building in the urinary tract. This is especially common in goats that eat grain. And it doesn't matter whether you use loose minerals (preferred) or a salt block but that is also important. Some times it will seem like they aren't eating either at all but other times they will go through it more rapidly. So it's important to just leave it available.

I agree a balanced diet is important... just may not agree about what that is.
smile.png

In the Boers' natural area... yes, open land is enough to survive. It probably has the right minerals available in the browse for the animals that live there. But here where I am, our pasture are notoriously low in (I think) selenium. And they aren't locked in any size pasture in nature... they have the freedom to roam and find what their bodies need, on plants in their natural habitat.

So if you have a pregnant female (since you say you like to have some bucks on the side), she might need more than my neutered boys do. That I don't know!
hu.gif
You might find info like that on one of these two sites.... My 2 favorite sources... besides BYC of course!
wink.png

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/articlesMain.html

http://fiascofarm.com/

thanks eggsighted ...

true what you say ... to give you an example ... i started off with broilers and did alot of research ...did what i was told and ended up with high mortality rates and spending a fortune on feed, and at slaughter had so much fat on them ...so i started playing around ... i eventually found that pumping 120kg of feed into a 1kg chicken everyday isnt good for it ... half of what they ate wasn't even digested ...so i halved their feed , removed all the lights and cut out the medications and kicked their lazy asses out the hok every day (had a shaded area just outside the door).... no deaths ...took a little longer to rear them ..but made no diffence to my bottom line ..

same with tilapia ... the powers that be recomend feed with a 43 percent protein level ..this, that including the kitchen sink .... bull..... i feed my fish good quality dogfood ... they love it ! at half the price it contains everything ... kept my dog alive to date!

as i told cassie .... its all corporate sales propaganda ....and it turns into the blind leading the blind.... anybody with a white lab coat and a clipboard is essentially a pseudo guru ... i pref taking advice form some old hick in coveralls, covered in mud with a limited education! (these are the guys that need to be successful and know what they are doing!)

i have been around and spoken to a few poor black farmers( im south african ) and seeing what these guys are feeding their live stock and what they look like (not too shabby) - then comparing it with what i find on the net .... most of them cant afford grains and alfalfa and all the choice cuts but none of them ever complain about aliments either !!???... ! Here on the forum it seems everthing but steriods is being feed ... so who's right and who's wrong???

Back
Top Bottom