What do you give your hens for protein?

I feed their eggs to them. Crack them into a shallow dish and let them at it. They love it
Would that not result in diminishing returns, particularly since OP seems to keep them for laying? What I mean, is that even if you feed a hen every egg she lays, she will not completely recoup all that she put into those eggs. And of course, you will not be getting any eggs.

My solution to the protein issue, other than them ranging in the bug zoo I live in, is to give them raw ground beef as a treat about three times a week. I am interested in trying the unsalted peanuts that someone mentioned and if my trashy neighbor continues to annoy I might see if he has some meat on his bones. Will have to check first how the chooks feel about fava beans and Chianti. :lol:

I will by thinly sliced roast beef from the deli and chop it up for my molting hens. Leftover filet mignon trimmed of all fat and chopped. Unsalted peanuts and eggs as well.

One of my hens is beginning to molt, but has also been having her wing feathers plucked out by the bully hen. We are getting a kennel to put the bully in rehab, but in the mean time, what do you feed your girls to boost their protein? We have freeze dried mealworms and black soldier fly larvae, and have added sunflower meal a bit to their feed. I also give them scrambled eggs once a week or so, but now we’re running low on eggs. Do we need to consider looking for an organic meat bird feed? Our girls are layers, and they are currently on organic, non-gmo, corn-free, soy-free feed.
My pullets love love love sardines. Got 10 cans for $10 at Safeway.

One of my hens is beginning to molt, but has also been having her wing feathers plucked out by the bully hen. We are getting a kennel to put the bully in rehab, but in the mean time, what do you feed your girls to boost their protein? We have freeze dried mealworms and black soldier fly larvae, and have added sunflower meal a bit to their feed. I also give them scrambled eggs once a week or so, but now we’re running low on eggs. Do we need to consider looking for an organic meat bird feed? Our girls are layers, and they are currently on organic, non-gmo, corn-free, soy-free feed.
I don’t have that many chickens so I give them a can of wild caught sardines. They are 10 for $10 here. They love them!

I bought a kilo of the EU dried mealworms (these are less fat than
the soldier flies).
They eat about 1 kilo/ about a 5 liter bucket in a year. € 14,70
550x550.jpg

I agree with meat and dairy. Especially if it's just a single hen. It's not just about protien. Its also about what protien is hugher in the aminos required.
Tins of sardines, dairy, silverskin/gristle trimmings.... little bit of fat from your own meat. Left over roast bones to peck at are also entertaining for them. They really don't need much. It's easy to overdo it.

Alternatively gamebird feed for birds like Guinea fowl and quail is often higher in protein.

Back
Top Bottom