What do you give your hens for protein?

thatchickenmama

Chirping
Aug 19, 2022
One of my hens is beginning to molt, but has also been having her wing feathers plucked out by the bully hen. We are getting a kennel to put the bully in rehab, but in the mean time, what do you feed your girls to boost their protein? We have freeze dried mealworms and black soldier fly larvae, and have added sunflower meal a bit to their feed. I also give them scrambled eggs once a week or so, but now we’re running low on eggs. Do we need to consider looking for an organic meat bird feed? Our girls are layers, and they are currently on organic, non-gmo, corn-free, soy-free feed.

What protein % is their feed? You could feed chick starter or grower, which has more protein in it, just make sure they have oyster shell on the side.
Hard boiled eggs are always a favorite with my chickens, although as well as being high in protein, they are also high in fat, so don't over do it.

I feed my layers layer pellets that are 22% with oyster shell on the sides free choice. That's all. They get bugs and green grass and clover during the day outside their coops. Chickens have thrived for thousands of years without specialty feeds. I see it this way. When in the sporting goods section of a box store look at all those lures on the peg boards. Those lures catch more fishermen than fish. We that have been around a few extra decades are not going to get caught by lures or a lot of fancy chicken feeds either. The easiest and one of the best ways to increase protein temporarily is to microwave eggs in a glass dish til solid then scramble, cool, and feed. That is a treat for ours and it's healthy.

One of my hens is beginning to molt, but has also been having her wing feathers plucked out by the bully hen. We are getting a kennel to put the bully in rehab, but in the mean time, what do you feed your girls to boost their protein? We have freeze dried mealworms and black soldier fly larvae, and have added sunflower meal a bit to their feed. I also give them scrambled eggs once a week or so, but now we’re running low on eggs. Do we need to consider looking for an organic meat bird feed? Our girls are layers, and they are currently on organic, non-gmo, corn-free, soy-free feed.

Not many organic meat bird feeds on the market. Add soy free, and I don't think there are any with national distribution, for reasons related to cost, and I don't know of any in the US South East, locally.

Good advice above. The first two things you list are high protein, high fat. Sunflower seeds aren't high protein, they are about the same as your layer formulation(close to 16%, most likely) and also high fat - recommend you cut those. Eggs are good protein, lower fat, good source of lots of other benefits as well. In moderation.

Look for an organic "starter/grower" type formulation, you might be able to find one corn and soy free in the 18% crude protein range. You can also try sprinkling plain, unflavored, gelatin on the feed, or a sprinkling of nutritional yeast.

Back
Top Bottom