What do you grow to feed the chickens??

We do fodder but its a mix of wheat, oats, boss, millet, plot spike, and field peas. I can't get barley around here. The oats are only about 50% germination rate but everything is is near 100%. We start with a mix of 3 1/2 lbs of grain and feed out 14 lbs of fodder from it daily for 16 chickens, 16 turkeys, 6 ducks, and 4 rabbits. We'll have to increase some soon because the turkeys are growing fast.

We do fodder but its a mix of wheat, oats, boss, millet, plot spike, and field peas. I can't get barley around here. The oats are only about 50% germination rate but everything is is near 100%. We start with a mix of 3 1/2 lbs of grain and feed out 14 lbs of fodder from it daily for 16 chickens, 16 turkeys, 6 ducks, and 4 rabbits. We'll have to increase some soon because the turkeys are growing fast.
I've tried the oats and corn right of the bag and didn't get anything green. Must be doing something incorrectly.
hu.gif
I figured I would try again when the weather warms up more. Did wonder if perhaps the seed is treated in some manner to prevent sprouting . . . ??

A lot of oats are treated with a germicide to keep it from sprouting. We found some at a local coop that was untreated and it still isn't great on germination. Wheat and BOSS sprout really well.

I have a large row of herbs I trim daily and feed to the chickens. Oregano, Mexican tarragon, dill, mint, parsley & cilantro (they fight over the cilantro lol) all grow fast. I regularly seed micro salad greens near our gardens along with any clearance- out of season veggies (most bolt to flower and the chickens love flowers lol ) makes a buffer to the goods we eat! They still sneak in for a cabbage here n there tho.

A lot of oats are treated with a germicide to keep it from sprouting. We found some at a local coop that was untreated and it still isn't great on germination. Wheat and BOSS sprout really well.
THis is what I was wondering about--- HWY would we want to feed this to our food animals??? We eat all the eggs! yick!!

I have a large row of herbs I trim daily and feed to the chickens. Oregano, Mexican tarragon, dill, mint, parsley & cilantro (they fight over the cilantro lol) all grow fast. I regularly seed micro salad greens near our gardens along with any clearance- out of season veggies (most bolt to flower and the chickens love flowers lol ) makes a buffer to the goods we eat! They still sneak in for a cabbage here n there tho.
gig.gif
Great foil!!

Never would have thought of the herbs . . . are they perenials in your area??

Most things grow year round here (louisiana) and the herbs get HUGE so I have to trim them constantly- works out well. Like preseasoned chicken? Lol jk! My girls are layers (for now)
:gig  Great foil!! 

Never would have thought of the herbs . . . are they perenials in your area??

I had some left over siding from the newly completed coop, so I made a 4'X4' raised planter and covered it with chicken wire. I planted it with rye grass. Can't wait for the grass to grow.

The chickens love kale and beets. We also throw grass clippings in the run. We laugh as they scratch it everywhere.

When the garden was being readied for planting, the weeds I pulled went in the run, roots and all. It was a riot watching all the chickens tossing dirt clods over their heads.

I tried BOSS and mustard sprouts, but nobody liked them, neither chickens nor goats.

Back
Top Bottom