What do you grow to feed the chickens??

The deer forage mixes are designed to be palatable and nutritious. You will get a lot more for the money if you actually plant it. If you free range your birds, let it get established, and provide access. If the birds are confined, cut and carry. I use the mixes to, but I would consider a waste to sprout and feed them. Try planting it, and see how it does for you.

Shoot yeah I'm planting a row in the front of my garden, and broadcasting a little on the back half where we keep them.
I plant to harvest a good bit of seed as well as let some sow itself...

Would I have to plow or till up the pasture or can I over seed in the existing grass? I do not have a plow and we loaned our tiller to our son and he has not brought it home. lol
You will get better results by tilling, liming, and fertilizing. It is worth it. One pack will produce a large volume of forage. It is all cool season plants, so it is available when you need it most. I wait until the evenings start cooling down before I plant.
They sell what they call no till, but I would still till.

It is a little early yet, so you have some time to get your tiller back. LOL.

Shoot yeah I'm planting a row in the front of my garden, and broadcasting a little on the back half where we keep them.
I plant to harvest a good bit of seed as well as let some sow itself...

I noticed that Wal Mart will sometimes put it on clearance at the end or after hunting season. I have picked up a few packs for half price like that.

Do you know a good place to buy Rape seed?

I have been sprouting barley and oats plus some budgerigar mix in square cement building blocks. I put some aviary wire over the top so the chickens can pull it out only as it grows through. Big success on that one. Chooks love it!:)

Last edited:
I have been sprouting barley and oats plus some budgerigar mix in square cement building blocks. I put some aviary wire over the top so the chickens can pull it out only as it grows through. Big success on that one. Chooks love it!
smile.png
That's great! I have also seen that some use pallets with wire over them to grow crops for their chickens.
big_smile.png

I have also made a brick surround garden to grow grass and weeds they like plus old car tyres full of dirt. Found out they love passion fruit vine leaves. So they will get one growing over each coop.

Sound nice. I would like to get some plants growing around the runs so the chickens can eat from them. But I worry they will eat the whole plant before it will be big enough to give them fruit.
hu.gif

I cover with wire so the can only pick at it. They can't dig up the ground. I collect seeds from anything I see them eating too. Weeds are very nutritious. Today I planted nasturtiums in their car tyre planters, as they are a great tonic and they also love to eat the flowers. I have planted plenty of alfalfa and clover plus fleabane daisy as well.

Back
Top Bottom