What do you grow to feed the chickens??

Well I've planted nutrient packed collards, kale, mustards, & Asian greens for us but when I plant I over plant as to have some for the chickens as well. I'm also broadcasting more clover into their lawn area for when the free range.

and in 2015 we're planting marigolds of all sorts everywhere, as well as garlic & onion chives. good for the chickens & attracting pollenators & seasoning foods.
Definitely make good use of your long growing season!!! I have learned my leson and plant my fall crops by august--- I love collards, and kale. Havent tried the mustard greens, but willing!!

My mother used to plant nastursiums and put the flowers in the salads-- hot and spicy!! ANd weird!! lol

Pretty sure we've got at least 30 really good growing days left into the fall, these are my last seeded crops in for 2014 until I start indoor sowing in Feb.

More Greens & Kales

Pretty sure we've got at least 30 really good growing days left into the fall, these are my last seeded crops in for 2014 until I start indoor sowing in Feb.

More Greens & Kales
Love your enthusiasm for planting right up the last of hte season.

I pulled out an old book on Root Cellars, and the season can be extended in many ways, especially in the warmer climates like your. Row covers and covering root crops in mulch will keep the frost at bay for a few more weeks.

In the north, 8 bales of straw or hay can be stacked two high with a window laid ontop like a mini green house. THough I was addin gup the cost of those bales. Around here those bales are $8 a peice, that makes for very expenseive lettuces. lol

Kale of course loves the mild frosts to be at their best.

My spinach is doing abysmal! I'm growing out my greens that I planted in end of July until the frost hits, and I'm going to shoot for some indoor starting this year. Yours looks great!
LOve your planning!!!

Planting several different greens can help make for success. Even if one crop fails, perhaps one of the others will be bountiful. IT is like buying stocks.

Love your enthusiasm for planting right up the last of hte season.

I pulled out an old book on Root Cellars, and the season can be extended in many ways, especially in the warmer climates like your. Row covers and covering root crops in mulch will keep the frost at bay for a few more weeks.

In the north, 8 bales of straw or hay can be stacked two high with a window laid ontop like a mini green house. THough I was addin gup the cost of those bales. Around here those bales are $8 a peice, that makes for very expenseive lettuces. lol

Kale of course loves the mild frosts to be at their best.
Arielle: have you looked around for MULCH hay? Call some of the local farmers. I pay $3/bale from a farm about 4 miles down the road. Can get it for $2.50/bale up the road, but it's much more weedy. A lot of farmers sell the hay that is not feed worthy for much less. If it has gotten wet between cutting and storage, it's not worth using for feed. So there's a lot of hay out there that SHOULD be sold for mulch hay. I don't consider that price to be a waste of money. In the spring when it's time to knock down the cold frame and plant, I can toss the hay around in the garden to replenish my mulch.

The tomatos are slowing down. THe tops of the tomatos are rotting, both the red and the still green ones. I toss the really bad ones to the buckeyes. THey live the closest.

I finally went to see what all the fuss was for the guineas out in the paddock. The fig tree is full of fruit! As a result the chickens are now dining on large sprays of little wild figs. I have hung the branches in their coops. Lots of fun for a chook party they reckon! :weee :cd :cd :cd

Back
Top Bottom