What do you have in your flock?

Pics
Not sure if this is the case for all hatcheries. I've gotten hatchery EE's that lay blue eggs while if the blue egg gene is added to a brown egg gene only greens should be gotten. Some of my EE's are EE's because of coloration of the hen. I've been breeding my own for several years now and depending on what I'm doing with egg color I might mix something in to see what happens.
In some cases an Ameraucana roo is used with an EE hen, too.
All of my EEs from the hatcheries lay green/blue(ish) eggs. Not quite a blue, yet not a nice olive from regular OEs.

The green one on the top came from one of my hatchery EE roo over a brown egg laying hen.
The middle one is a hatchery EE roo over another hatchery EE hen, and the farthest on the bottom is what all of my hatchery EE hens lay.
The one on the left is just a brown egg.

Is the one on the bottom the shade you are getting?

I had Welsummers, but I sold them all.  They have good temperaments, but the hatchery stock didn't lay the shade of brown I was looking for.  If you just want their temperament, they are a good bird.  If you want the egg color, find a breeder if you can.

Thanks!! I am mostly looking for temperment compatibility, but the egg color was a plus....I'll see if there's a breeder around. I've heard they have better survival instincts than the SF. So, I thought it might be a good addition if they didn't bully them.

Just started with chickens this spring we was only gonna get 5 or 6 and we did then some more and more and more now we have
2 barred rocks
2 Rhode Island reds
2 Cinnamon Queens that's what we started with then got 3 Bantams then got 2 white crested black polish and 2 mutts at a swap
Then 2 weeks ago we just picked up 2 silver laced Wyandotte
2 easter Eggers and 2 bronze turkeys and built onto the coop but loving every minute of it
Now we thinking of getting an incubator and trying to get some peacock eggs to hatch so if you know what brand is good I'm all ears
just added 2 silver seabrights and 2 royal palms foday

All of my EEs from the hatcheries lay green/blue(ish) eggs. Not quite a blue, yet not a nice olive from regular OEs.

The green one on the top came from one of my hatchery EE roo over a brown egg laying hen.
The middle one is a hatchery EE roo over another hatchery EE hen, and the farthest on the bottom is what all of my hatchery EE hens lay.

Beautiful egg color. The one on the top looks olive to me. I have several young olive eggers but they are too young to lay. I keep hoping in another month or two. I'm getting mostly variations on your middle egg. blues, pale greens, and even, what I call a slate blue. My EE's are some of my best layers and have been laying well for a while so their eggs are pale now.

All of my EEs from the hatcheries lay green/blue(ish) eggs. Not quite a blue, yet not a nice olive from regular OEs. The green one on the top came from one of my hatchery EE roo over a brown egg laying hen. The middle one is a hatchery EE roo over another hatchery EE hen, and the farthest on the bottom is what all of my hatchery EE hens lay. The one on the left is just a brown egg. Is the one on the bottom the shade you are getting?
I get more of the bottom color.

Those are gorgeous eggs!!! I LOVE the green egg on top!!!

Beautiful egg color. The one on the top looks olive to me. I have several young olive eggers but they are too young to lay. I keep hoping in another month or two. I'm getting mostly variations on your middle egg. blues, pale greens, and even, what I call a slate blue. My EE's are some of my best layers and have been laying well for a while so their eggs are pale now.
It's technically an Olive Egger, but my favorite OE lays a pretty dark green I have some second generation OEs that should start laying the next couple of months. I'm excited to see what they will produce.
yippiechickie.gif

Those are gorgeous eggs!!! I LOVE the green egg on top!!!
Thank you. :)

Back
Top Bottom