What do you have in your flock?

Pics
My Welsh harlequin are not as noisy as pekins or pekin mixes. They are also smaller weighing about 4lbs. They do enjoy the kiddie pool I have for them. Most all regular ducks prefer to breed in water. My welled lay more eggs and eat less too. They are my fave.

My Welsh harlequin are not as noisy as pekins or pekin mixes. They are also smaller weighing about 4lbs. They do enjoy the kiddie pool I have for them. Most all regular ducks prefer to breed in water. My welled lay more eggs and eat less too. They are my fave.

Thx for your input.

I have a small cottage backyard with 4 free-ranging hens and adding a couple WHs (no drakes) to the mix might be a bit much. I also had to consider that chickens are sloppy and will drink duck water or potted container run off before drinking their own clean nipple valve waterers so that was another consideration for me not to add ducks with a wading pool. But that doesn't keep me from being intrigued with the WHs for all the good reviews I've researched - lighterweight duck breed, one of the quieter ducks, good feed-2-egg ratio, and good layers. Cayugas fascinate me but an 8-lb duck would throttle my 2-lb Silkies. I think Runners are hilarious and don't really need a pond but they are a hyper and very noisy bunch for my quiet neighborhood LOL!

I believe you run all your poultry in the same pen, but do the ducks have their own housing or do all your poultry share a communal coop housing?

Quote:
My little bantam cochins tend to run my big gal flock. Here is Itty Bitty the tiniest cochin in the bunch hangin with her buddy Kanga.

Here she is kickin it with the SS and others in the mix. She is certainly small but mighty in spirit and the others respect that. She even runs the Brahma around. No one picks on her. The ONE hen that did got the crud beat out of her by the then top hen for it and is in the old ladies group with no access to the bantams. (31 chickens total 5 are bantam size) The old ladies group has 11 in it so the group with the bantams is 20 chickens.

I had bantams in the country in my laying flock as well with no issues.

I've got ducks,21 muscovy, 2 australian spotted ducks, 1 runner,1 mallard,2 pekins. 3 toulouse and 1 buff goose, 1 Bourbon red tom, a pr of red golden pheasants,8 peafowl, 2 paint silkies,2 black silkies and 2 splash silkies, columbian wyandottes, cochins, astralops, polish and polish cross bantys, game fowl rooster, 3 araucans, 3 Americaunas, 12 guinea fowl. Any waaaay too many pens for the winter.

I've got ducks,21 muscovy, 2 australian spotted ducks, 1 runner,1 mallard,2 pekins. 3 toulouse and 1 buff goose, 1 Bourbon red tom, a pr of red golden pheasants,8 peafowl, 2 paint silkies,2 black silkies and 2 splash silkies, columbian wyandottes, cochins, astralops, polish and polish cross bantys, game fowl rooster, 3 araucans, 3 Americaunas, 12 guinea fowl. Any waaaay too many pens for the winter.
yuckyuck.gif

1 Rhode Island Red female
1EE female
1 Silkie female
1 Japanese Bantam female
1 Blk French Maren female
1 baby chick Blk star breed male
1 baby chick ? Japanese Phoniex Bantam ?

This is what I think I have.... As far as my chicken knowledge goes...

1 Blue Andulasian
3 Black Cochin Bantam
2 Barred Rock Cochin Bantams
2 mystery white hens
1 red leghorn rooster
1 gold laced rooster
1 gray cochin bantam rooster
1 mille de fleur pair
2 silkies
5 purebred salmon favorelles
4 crossbred salmon favorelles
2 hamburgs
1 black hen (not sure her breed)
1 brown hen (not sure what breed)
I think that's it...

I have 3 roos 1 GLW and 2 white Ameraucanas (not EE)
My hens are
3 black sex link
5 golden buffs
4 RIR
3 new Hampshire
3 white rocks
1 barred rock
1 light brahma
1 bantam buff brahma
3 EE
1 wellsummer
1 partridge Cochin
1 Ancona

Today I received my new chicks they are
3 exchequer leghorns
3 barred rock
3 wellsummer
3 black australorp
2 brown leghorns
2 buff orpingtons
2 SLW
2 RIR
1 EE
and 2 that i'm uncertain about.

I just finished reducing my flock from about 40 to 21. Woot!

My current number/breeds are as follows: (ahem)

(Roosters)
1 BCM
1 (mystery) bantam I named Little Mister

(Hens)
2 Ameraucanas
2 Barred Rocks
2 Phoenix
2 Olive Eggers
1 Barnyard mix
1 Tolbunt Polish
1 Silver Laced Polish
1 Buff Laced Polish
1 Spitshauben
1 Black Tailed Black bantam
3 bantam mixes
2 EE bantam

(I've still got three bantams to sell, though aside from two of the mixes, I haven't decided which will be the third.)

Other fowl in a different yard:
4 Bourbon Red turkeys
1 Black Spanish turkey
2 Embdens geese
2 Buff duck
3 Khaki Campbell ducks (selling)
2 Muscovy ducks (suspect one is a mix)

Back
Top Bottom