What do you have in your flock?

Pics
I have a total of 8:

1 barred rock - I had two but I thought one was a rooster so my friend his it.
2 production red
2 rock cross Columbian
And 3 babies that are Rhode Island reds

Chicken owners are such a devoted group! Enjoy seeing all the posts about everyone's flocks.

Our diverse flock consists of:
3 Barred Rocks
1 Buff Orpington
3 Rhode Island Reds
2 Iowa Blues

Lost a beautiful EE in July to a hawk. Our BRs are the clowns and cuddlers in the group, with the RIR being the talkers. The BO is elusive when it comes to being caught, as was the EE; the Iowa Blues prefer not to be handled but hang out at our feet. Love the variety and mix of personalities.

Any crazy chicken folks out there regret your breeds in your flock?
Well..only reason why I say this is cause our hatchery is sharing different breeds available. If I was aware or could've planned better, like all breeds we wanted on one day, I could've gotten a 4 rare breed chicks in addition to the ones we wanted previously just smaller numbers. Grrr. I wouldn't have gotten brown rare layers, I'd have done olive Eggers or blue layers. No bantams or Silkies they just aren't for us.

Any crazy chicken folks out there regret your breeds in your flock?

My australorps aren't impressing me. They're decent layers but they don't push any buttons.

I love looking at my Sussex but they seem to be middling layers.

I have:
Ladies
Australorps
Delawares
New Hampshire
Barred rocks
White leghorn
Speckled Sussex
Cuckoo Marans

And a Cochin roo

He was a bonus chick and he's been a good first "learning rooster" but Cochins aren't good producers of meat or eggs so I wouldn't want to cross him over any of my girls.

He's a handsome bloke though.

Still want to try some colored egg options. Maybe an EE, or a whiting true blue. Dark Cornish just for grins and something different too. I like variety.

I think I'd like a welsummer roo also.

The more they're around though, the more I'm growing fond of the Delaware and their dual purpose nature when properly bred. Same for the New Hampshire. I've toyed with the idea of someday breeding my own sexlinks crossing the two.

I think too much...

My australorps aren't impressing me. They're decent layers but they don't push any buttons.

I love looking at my Sussex but they seem to be middling layers.

I have:
Ladies
Australorps
Delawares
New Hampshire
Barred rocks
White leghorn
Speckled Sussex
Cuckoo Marans

And a Cochin roo

He was a bonus chick and he's been a good first "learning rooster" but Cochins aren't good producers of meat or eggs so I wouldn't want to cross him over any of my girls.

He's a handsome bloke though.

Still want to try some colored egg options. Maybe an EE, or a whiting true blue. Dark Cornish just for grins and something different too. I like variety.

I think I'd like a welsummer roo also.

The more they're around though, the more I'm growing fond of the Delaware and their dual purpose nature when properly bred. Same for the New Hampshire. I've toyed with the idea of someday breeding my own sexlinks crossing the two.

I think too much...
I've got
Australorps
Buff orpingtons
Golden comets
Easter Eggers
Silver laced wyandotte
Black copper marans roo
Least likeable are the EE then BA
BO & GC have their moments & SLW is the one no one likes so she terrified. I'm still trying to transition both groups together. Today was best day yet! Ugh my biggest regret was not putting the 2 groups together when we got them but the youngest ones were in danger.

oooo really? What aren't you fond of them about?
Both of mine turned into egg or feather eaters. I believe they require more protein due to their high production and it wasn't compatible with my feeding or way of keeping chickens a few years ago. I have since changed my ration to a higher protein one so they probably would be okay now, but I must be the only person on here wishing I got less eggs, so I don't really want high production hens. I find their look boring too. So just a few reasons.

Both of mine turned into egg or feather eaters. I believe they require more protein due to their high production and it wasn't compatible with my feeding or way of keeping chickens a few years ago. I have since changed my ration to a higher protein one so they probably would be okay now, but I must be the only person on here wishing I got less eggs, so I don't really want high production hens. I find their look boring too. So just a few reasons.
lol I kind of wished I waited so I could've gotten the more rare birds but oh well this is my first flock. Gotta learn sometime and I'm very happy with things so far.

lol I kind of wished I waited so I could've gotten the more rare birds but oh well this is my first flock. Gotta learn sometime and I'm very happy with things so far.
Well you don't know what you will like until you try them. I have had all your breeds and many are some of my favorites. I have the luxury of being able to keep a lot of chickens.

I also don't care for my appenzellers, I often forget that they are there and they aren't very personable. I would have initially mention them, but I forgot about them.

Back
Top Bottom