What do you think of this combo of chickens?

HorsebackBrony

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 15, 2014
We're starting our first flock soon :D so excited! Anyways, we want a few different breeds, and we were thinking of a combo of an Americano (sorry spelling) a Buff Orpington, a Barred Rock and a Speckled Sussex. What do you think of that combination?

That's a good hardy combo of decent layers. The Buff Orpington and Speckled Sussex are very friendly, gentle breeds. If you're thinking of a true Ameraucana, they are expensive and only lay blue eggs. What most people have (including me) are actually Easter Eggers, which are much less expensive and more readily available hybrids, produced by crossing blue egg laying Ameraucanas or Araucanas with other breeds to produce offspring that lay eggs in different colors. Easter Eggers are commonly and incorrectly marketed under the labels Ameraucana (often misspelled as Americana or Americauna) or Araucana (true Araucanas are tailless). If you want to know the difference between Ameraucanas, Araucanas, and Easter Eggers there is a good article explaining the differences at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html

Thanks. When I looked closer it turns out they were actually mislabeled Easter Eggers. Ah well, learn something new every day.

Thanks. When I looked closer it turns out they were actually mislabeled Easter Eggers. Ah well, learn something new every day.

You may actually like Easter Eggers better. They typically outlay their Ameraucana parents, and there eggs are different colors (olive, green, beige, and even pale pink and gold). The EEs are my granddaughter's favorite chickens. She loves the colored eggs. Good luck in getting your flock.

Back
Top Bottom