What do you think of this tricky bird?

MN Chicken

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Minnesota
Could y'all help me sex this 13 week old EE? She is patchy and has red on her wings, and I'm not really sure if her comb has 3 rows or 1 to be honest! She is almost 13 weeks old, is lowest on the pecking order, and has the coolest new feathers coming in. Her chipmunk feathers are molting now and these blue feathers with red lacing are appearing. She seems flashy for a pullet, but I have my fingers crossed hard. What do you think?

Are you absolutely sure about the age? That bird looks closer to 8 weeks old, I can still see the remnants of the chick 'eyeliner.' It's looking like a cockerel with that rusty red on the wings.

Are you absolutely sure about the age? That bird looks closer to 8 weeks old, I can still see the remnants of the chick 'eyeliner.' It's looking like a cockerel with that rusty red on the wings.
Yes I am positive about age. She hatched in my bedroom on April 15th.

Last edited:

Here is another of her head. It's so odd because half of our chickens are extremely slow to develop, and half are right on track. We got eggs from 2 sources, and some of each group just aren't growing as quickly as the others. Our oldest chicken looks like a 3 week old chick still.

I agree with junebuggena, it looks like a much younger cockerel to me. I'm not sure if you had incubation issues and that's why your birds are slow to develop, but I'm really thinking cockerel.

I didn't have any incubation issues. The bantams all hatched within an hour of each other on day 20, and the standards on day 21. We did have cocci and a respiratory illness go through the brooder at 3 weeks though, which seemed to slow some down. This one wasn't one of the sick chicks though. I guess time will tell. We already have 3 confirmed crowing dudes in the batch, and j was praying this last EE was a girl, otherwise we don't have one. Thank you all for your input! I guess she is still hard to peg down right now!

I agree with junebuggena, it looks like a much younger cockerel to me. I'm not sure if you had incubation issues and that's why your birds are slow to develop, but I'm really thinking cockerel.

2 weeks older, not much change. She walks like a hen, her comb hasn't changed, but she is splashy. This one is the bottom of the pecking order so I don't think it will crow to let me know. Any change in opinions? We had a split 2 weeks ago.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom