What do you think of this tricky bird?

Pullet. I wonder about this crowing and dominance. I have four young serama roosters and three have been crowing for many weeks. The strongest and biggest has never crowed-odd. He's definitely a rooster-courts the hens etc. Just no crowing. This is a picture of my noncrower from last week.

In the first pics, I thought pullet, but now that tail looks pretty long. I'd have to say roo.

Hard to tell from my phone, but it looks like the saddle feathers are starting to split at the tail and the red on the wings looks more apparent. But by now, you'd think s/he would have tried to crow if it was a roo.

Last edited:
That's why this bird is so weird! Feathers say roo, but this bird has a flesh comb, no wattles, no pointy feathers, and stands like a pullet. It's maddening!

That's why this bird is so weird! Feathers say roo, but this bird has a flesh comb, no wattles, no pointy feathers, and stands like a pullet. It's maddening!

If only the tail feathers say roo, hope for a hen. I have a lavender Ameraucana (Easter Egger?) purchased as a sexed one day old pullet that suddenly a long curved rooster tail feather. Of course I was very unhappy. But that was the only rooish thing about her, except she was larger than the EE's I had gotten the year before. Thankfully the feather fell out and she lays many very large bluish green eggs. With that in mind, I'll say hen.

Back
Top Bottom