what do you use for bedding in your coop straw or shavings?

I use straw for the big coop- free, and deep litter in the winter. In the silkie part they get shavings and I scoop it put every month and throw it into the big coop (they don't poo too much and cleaning it keeps their feathered feet clean).

I use pine shavings mixed with small amounts of cedar shavings. Straw or hay can cause impacted crop and is a good place for mites to hide... Both of these I've read about on here. But I did have a friend whose hen had impacted crop from straw.

Quote:
Get rid of the cedar NOW!
Not good for chickens!!!!!

sorry pine mixed with cedar so there isn't much of it!! not the other way around!!

Quote:
I do the same. Any tips on sorting out the pine cones? They drive me crazy in the coop and garden. I have so many pine trees in my yard though and the pine needles are wonderful for bedding and garden material, plus, they are constantly needing to be raked up.
I also throw down alfalfa every week. They eat the leaves, the stems get stamped down and it's the best garden stuff ever!

Quote:
For smell, this may seem strange but I actually prune my herbs-rosemary, lavender and lemon grass and throw it in the coop and nest boxes. It smells wonderful for several weeks and the herbs are supposed to repel bugs.
All these herbs grow really easily here although I'm sure in colder areas other substitutes could easily be found, like oregano, mint and thyme.

Cedar causes respiratory problems in all birds! I use straw in the chicken yard when it gets muddy and Aspen bedding inside the house and in the nest boxes. It is a little more expensive than pine but doesn't blow around quite as much.

Never had a chicken with an impacted crop from the straw...they pick around in it looking for the wheat but haven't seen them eating the straw itself.

Quote:
For smell, this may seem strange but I actually prune my herbs-rosemary, lavender and lemon grass and throw it in the coop and nest boxes. It smells wonderful for several weeks and the herbs are supposed to repel bugs.
All these herbs grow really easily here although I'm sure in colder areas other substitutes could easily be found, like oregano, mint and thyme.

It doesn't sound that strange
smile.png
it makes sence

Straw. We grow wheat, so it's available and free. Usually in the winter, I do deep litter because everything is frozen solid and hard to scoop out. This winter, though, it's been above freezing for the entire month of December (after last winter, I'm not complaining!) so I can scoop out the squshy stuff that sticks to my shoes, put it in the compost bin and put down fresh straw.

Back
Top Bottom