What do you use to write on eggs?

I only hatch from one breed, and have 6 different colors, I use crayons to mark them according to color just two lines side by side, example :

Lemon Blue = Blue/Orange
Brown Red = Black/Orange
Brassy Back = Black/Yellow
Blue Brassy Back = Blue/Yellow
Spangle = Red
Blue Spangle = Red/Blue

makes it pretty simple...

Last edited:
PENCIL - Sharpie pens soak through and have toxic fumes.

People can use whatever they feel safe using. Nothing is set in stone for anyone as to what they can and should use to mark eggs. However, statements like that are just guesses at best and a not so great way to "freak people out". To me its like making a statement saying people using crayons to mark eggs are sealing the pours with wax and the embryo will suffocate....​

Quote:
No, there has never been any soaking through, leaching, or penetrating the shell here EVER or any evidence of "toxic fumes".
A Sharpie Permanent Marker is perfectly safe for marking 'eggs for hatching'.
smile.png

Lisa

My Sharpies are all label non-toxic directly on the pen. While the fumes may be unpleasant, they will not harm you in any way!

I have always wondered how to get my eggs clean. When I pick them from the coups some of them have poop on them. And they tell you to wipe them clean with a dry paper towel. But when it's dried to the egg how does it come off with out water. Not to mention it is supposed to effect the fertility of the eggs. So you are saying you have washed them and still hatched them out?

I thought long and hard about how to date my breakfast eggs and decided that a regular graphite (they're not made of lead anymore) pencil would be best. There's no liquid ink with all the chemicals and there's no smell, as well as no chance of anything seeping through the shell.

I use pencil, I know lots of people use a marker but pencils seem safer to me and I like to minimise any risks to the eggs as much as I can!

Back
Top Bottom