What does a de-beaked chicken look like? (beak trimmed)?

Quote:
That is a really unfair picture of beak clipping. My flock of old hens had NEVER had the beak trimmed to that extent. They just have the tip of the top beak clipped off. It does not inhibit their eating or drinking at all. They can free range for bugs and greens just fine. I am not for or against it, I'm just saying that they do just fine.

Ok so this is just my opinion, but here you go. #1 this is like a 3 year old thread you all are posting on just in case you didn't know. #2 This is something done to animals that are kept as live stock not pets. #3 I think this would qualify as animal rights talk.

Quote:
MY opinion....a lot of us newbie chicken mommas and daddies rummage thru the "3 year old posts" good infos there
smile.png

I personally have a debeaked hen that a lady I know gave to me...that was given to her....by a guy that had them given to him. She brought her over with another hen that was also debeaked (killed in the fox masacere). I had never seen a debeaked chicken before and took me a few days to even want to interact with her because it just made to sick to look at. After I got past the hack job beak clipping she actually is my FAVORITE chicken out of the flock of 55 lol
D.gif
I have made changes to how everyone is fed in that coop to accomidate her. My hens in her coop now eat crumbles instead of regular pellets because it just seems to be easier for her to eat them and when I give treats like breads or veggies it is always shredded, chopped small or crumbled. Her little tongue sticks out when she drinks and eats so I dont want to make her peck too hard at stuff for a bite
tongue.png
I'm sure someone thought there is a good reason for doing this to a chicken....I can even understand just taking off the sharp tip but IMO taking off 1/3, 1/2 or 2/3 is awful....I would never do this to my chickens.

Her name was The Beakless Wonder...but after some deliberation have changed it to Marylin...she thinks shes a super model....can't get a picture of any other chicken in that coop without her head in it hahaha she loves my camera!
Heres her picture
100_0627.jpg

100_0626.jpg

Last edited:
Poor things! This is disgusting. And it really doesn't matter how old this post is. I can understand in commercial use why this is done - but people have to take it a step too far . Sad

I personally wouldn't do it. Its not natures way of things. Thats probably why i wouldn't get a cat. I wouldn't want it declawed. But i would want a cat ripping everything up....

Jeep Chick,
I had a chicken named Gertie that I got at a 2nd Monday sale. She was full grown and I thought she was so beautiful, she had lips. I thought I had a special chicken (she was) She was the sweetest thing, I thought she was born like that. She was my first chicken.

Recently, I was given two fertilized eggs that I hatched and have watched grow up. I was given two chicks, a bard rock (Minnie) and a production red (Skeeter) a year ago. They have all been fine together in a large shaded pen. Recently, my bard rock (Minnie) has some bald red spots and I caught one of the other chickens pecking at her. That is the only reason I am considering just gently trimming that top beak so she cannot hurt my other sweet girl. Do you think that is a horrible thing to do. Otherwise - I guess I will give her to another home where maybe she can get along better.

thanks
aterilli

Back
Top Bottom