What does Internal/External Piping look like?

Ya thier great on here. I would have lost alot of ducks and chickens if it wasn't for everyone on here.

she might not zip untill tomorrow night and pop out but you could get up in the morning and she will be there screaming at you to let her out the bator
lol.png

I'm not sure what an external pip is supposed to look like. If the shell has a hole popped out but the membrane is completely intact with no hole in it, is that normal, or does it mean that it the membrane is too dry and the duckling will need help? I've tried wetting a little around the edges of the hole but am also afraid of drowning it. No change for about 6 hours. Should I try to put a hole in the membrane or leave it alone for a a while longer? It is very still right now - I hear a clicking when I hold the egg next to my ear, but no peeping for a while. Don't know if it is in distress or just resting.

These eggs were rescued from a mallard nest that was too close to a popular dog walking trail to survive. I guess the mom didn't notice the problems with the location until the weekend. I improvised an incubator with a heating pad for the first week so I don't doubt the humidity, temps and everything were all wrong. I'm really surprised they've gotten this far. Thanks for any advise.

My problem is that my eggs are call ducks which makes the twice as hard as others. It's too late to worry about zipping. I just opened it because there was no progress and no more chirping. I knew i should have helped earlier. Now theres another one the pipped externaly so i'm watching closly. I will probably be on line most of the night. So i will let you know what happens.
gardenside, it depends on what kind of ducks your hatching but someone on here can help you for sure. I just know i've had to help most of mine. Couldn't be here for the one today though. Sad but i'm here for the rest of them.

It is sad but i used to get realy upset and almost gave up on incubating but i've decided it's going to take some time to figure out when i have to help them. I WILL become a pro, thats what i'm telling myself anyway. I go out and look at my five day old ducklings and tell myself i did something right. Can't let it scare you off of trying.

It can take a while. try to be patient. Is she in an incubator? Mine were not, so I just kept it warm and wet. I noticed when it was still and when I put it closer to the light, it started to move again.

Trippy. Oh, and I think my baby in the picture got eaten....the only black one left has less yellow, so now it's in the house. Sad.

I do have an incubator now - I was thinking she was a gonner when I saw the egg tooth pop through! I've got some wet gauze on the membrane around the edges of the shell opening to soften it up. The older one has fully hatched now and seems OK. You are right - patience is the hardest thing. Only experience will teach me when to intervene and when to leave things alone. It is really a miracle that these wild birds are hatching at all given the conditions. I'm telling myself that they would have been crushed by an ATV or eaten by a dog by now if I hadn't picked them up - trying not to feel too guilty for 'practicing' on them.

Update: After another 6 hours or so and no progress appeared to be made, I zipped out the shell about 2/3 around and moistened the membrane with warm water and put the egg back in the 'bator. when I checked again 4 hours she was fully hatched. seems to be doing fine so far!

Last edited:
I would love to see pictures!

You are doing fine, and don't feel guilty, if they hatch and grow up, then everything is right with the world. If they don't make it, they would have died anyway and it was meant to be.

We do our best, that is all we can do!

Back
Top Bottom