What does Internal/External Piping look like?

Anyone trying to hatch call ducks go to sundown silkies web page and read her section on hatching,I did and now I have 4 4week olds, 9 3 week olds ,6 1 week olds all hatched under chickens ,I had to help them all because I should have misted them everyday but I didnt know until it was too late.I had 15 hatch but the b.o. stood on 4 ,she was two big 1 died the day after it hatched and we had to get the vet to cull 1 because after a week it still could not walk,thats how I ended up with 9 3 week olds.I also have 4 4day olds under a duck and 4 1 day olds under another duck, I watched them closely and did help them a bit once they externally piped I made the hole bigger and left them for a while.If you follow sundown silkies instructions you should be fine ,I am now over run with call ducklings and boy are they messy
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Last edited:
I turned her over to a bird rescue group http://bird-rescue.org/ after I couldn't get her to eat anything more than boiled egg yolk, and that only half heartedly. In addition to both wet and dry chick starter, I tried meal worms, crickets, garden slugs, finely chopped spinach, and strawberries, all to no avail. I was too stressed worrying about getting her to eat to get photos. I think she's probably not a Mallard after all but a Cinnamon Teal. It turns out that Teals are more carnivorous than Mallards and have very different eating habits than most domesticated ducks. I now have a new respect for the effects thousands of years of domestication. Wild birds really ARE different. If any more of these eggs hatch they are going straight to the bird rescue as soon as they fluff up.

Last edited:
I have got 10 Tukey eggs and this one that has had sticky stuff a over it and now it has started piping but every thing I've done research on it says "I know you want to help but this is what they do by their self so hands OFF and keep the incubator CLOSED""

I have a question. I have a goose that internally pipped on day 25 and it is now day 30, it is still moving around, but I was wondering if it is at the point that I should try an do an external pip to try and get this guy out or if I should still wait? Please help.

Back
Top Bottom