What does your duck house look like?

Pics

OSUman

GO BUCKS
10 Years
Apr 17, 2009
Central Illinois
I was wondering what peoples duck pens/ houses looked like cause i have 4 and a pond and was wondering what to do
btw i have mallards so do i need a top?

Last edited:
43749_im001847.jpg

43749_im001841.jpg

43749_im001846.jpg

This is my night club/pen to keep the babies safe at night. It is attached to a metal shed that is filled with bedding which so far they only use to lay eggs. I added remote controlled rope lights to do spot checks if I hear something at night. I need to get some pics of it during daylight lol......

92444_img_0871.jpg

I've recently built a little Duck temple, I have paid most of my attention on creating a traditional Chinese style before practicality. The size is about 1200x1200 mm and the internal area is roughly 800x800 mm, the wall thickness is very thick and insulated. For the time being it serves as a great duckling house for my 5 little muscovy ducklings. I'm asking for some advise for a preferred size for a nesting box for a Muscovy, I would like to make a floating island for this "Duck Temple". Is this going to work? Thanking in advance for suggestions, Shane

We're almost finished with Camp Quackers. Only need to put in the top and install the electric fencing, which will be done this weekend.. The house was basically free. We used things that we had on hand and hubby got materials (with permission) from his customer..The house is 3'x4' ..The pen is 16'x32'.. I got the ducks an 8' round pool that is 18" deep. Two of my ducks are Michael Phelps in that pool. I never knew how much they love to swim under water!!! Today was their first day in their new digs..

My hubby built this for me as a Christmas present. Lots of room and lots of predator protection. It’s a 20’x20’ pen, which is covered from top to bottom in 1/4 inch hardware mesh. I also dug down 2 feet deep and 1 foot out and attached the hardware mesh to the perimeter of the pen and then back filled it to protect from digging predators. He also built the duck house and added another area behind it, in case it’s too hot to sleep inside the duck house or if one of the duckies just wants some privacy. It’s been “duck approved” by the flock and receives two thumbs up (if ducks had thumbs, that is...).;)
FCADA0FA-2765-4607-A48C-D28D3E9D963D.jpeg
7E3A6AB3-7057-499B-889C-A88AC494F70C.jpeg
E71F7876-EBAB-4273-8523-0156FE0AD0DC.jpeg

Lol! Not a problem! I was also thinking about plastic pallets. I'm sure you've seen the many uses of wooden ones, but my previous neighbor whom owned a convenient store said they get the plastic ones all the time. I wonder if you could find someone who can give you some. They look something like this

Hope this helps
smile.png

We used plastic pallets just like these in constructing the base of our enclosed pen - they sit on top of 3" of small river stone for drainage, and are covered with 1" thick rubber horse stall mats for easy cleaning - all enclosed with stacked pressure treated 4x4 wood framing to keep predators out.

We got the plastic pallets at a local scrap recycling yard for a few dollars each. Since we hose out the pen a couple times a day, they are fantastic to use as they do not rot, and allow for some airflow under the mats.

Dan

Last edited:

The house is 4ft.x 8ft.set on 12" 4x4 legs, shingled roof. inside is linoleum floor over treated wood, three 12"x16" windows covered in 1/2 " hardware cloth and each has a shutter cover with latch hardware. Entrance/exit door is not covered and has no door because the run pen is predator proof, so they can come and go as they please..door to log cabin has security latch's and carabiner clip. pen is 8ft.X16 Ft. fully covered including top with 1/2 " hardware cloth and 12" of hardware cloth buried into ground around perimeter of run pen. pen also has same security latch with carabiner clip as log cabin. small pool which we plan on replacing with larger pool soon. just installed awning over pop door because rain blew into floor of house. now it doesn't. windows can be closed or opened depending on weather. main door is large enough to put wheelbarrow outside and rake dirty bedding into it. food and water are outside. ramp has fenced rails from house to ground so ducks will not leap from ramp. also serves as a cattle chute to herd them inside in case of bad weather. we were planning on painting house but it turned out to look so much like a log cabin we decided to leave it as is.

This is my Duck/Rooster House its made out of recycled pallets the most money we probably spent on it is actually the shingles i wanted it to be a fence and a house so my ducks get the grass and my dogs get the cement side of the yard... although my dog can open the gate... but he doesn't eat the bird poop all the time so that's ok

Back
Top Bottom