What does your duck house look like?

Pics
Lol! Not a problem! I was also thinking about plastic pallets. I'm sure you've seen the many uses of wooden ones, but my previous neighbor whom owned a convenient store said they get the plastic ones all the time. I wonder if you could find someone who can give you some. They look something like this

Hope this helps :)

We're almost finished with Camp Quackers. Only need to put in the top and install the electric fencing, which will be done this weekend.. The house was basically free. We used things that we had on hand and hubby got materials (with permission) from his customer..The house is 3'x4' ..The pen is 16'x32'.. I got the ducks an 8' round pool that is 18" deep. Two of my ducks are Michael Phelps in that pool. I never knew how much they love to swim under water!!! Today was their first day in their new digs..

Lol! Not a problem! I was also thinking about plastic pallets. I'm sure you've seen the many uses of wooden ones, but my previous neighbor whom owned a convenient store said they get the plastic ones all the time. I wonder if you could find someone who can give you some. They look something like this

Hope this helps
smile.png

We used plastic pallets just like these in constructing the base of our enclosed pen - they sit on top of 3" of small river stone for drainage, and are covered with 1" thick rubber horse stall mats for easy cleaning - all enclosed with stacked pressure treated 4x4 wood framing to keep predators out.

We got the plastic pallets at a local scrap recycling yard for a few dollars each. Since we hose out the pen a couple times a day, they are fantastic to use as they do not rot, and allow for some airflow under the mats.

Dan

Last edited:

My Dad designed this duck house for us, and he and I built it together. Someone on the Backyard Chickens site suggested The Waddle On Inn and my girls loved the name, so thanks for that. I used this site a lot for ideas on how to design the house. We put a two layer floor with one that is slightly angled to wash it out every morning. We got that idea from Arthur Lindgren's book. We made it completely predator proof with plenty of ventilation. They free range during the day and stay in their Inn at night. They haven't walked up the ramp on their own yet, but we are trying to show them how to go up on their own. I was wondering about bedding when they begin to lay eggs. I love the mesh on the bottom as we can keep it very clean and odor free. But when they begin to lay eggs, should I add bedding to the mesh?

My cousin is a welder so he made it for me. But there are weathervanes for sale, even on Ebay and Amazon. They have some really nice ones available. What type of bedding do you think I should use when they begin to lay? I'm concerned about the mesh at that point. Thanks!

How big a house do I need for 10 ducks just for nighttime lock up house they free range in yard during the day

Back
Top Bottom