What does your duck house look like?

Pics
Good point... I suppose the ducks and the chickens are going to need ramps, unless I go with a dirt floor...

I'm leaning more towards this design though now its got a little more space for people, The pen would be accessed ( with ramps :) ) after the birds walk-through human area.
@Miss Lydia what is the rule of thumb for sqft required indoors for ducks?

Good point... I suppose the ducks and the chickens are going to need ramps, unless I go with a dirt floor...

I'm leaning more towards this design though now its got a little more space for people, The pen would be accessed ( with ramps
smile.png
) after the birds walk-through human area.
@Miss Lydia what is the rule of thumb for sqft required indoors for ducks?
Storey's guide to raising ducks says inside 2-6 sq ft. depending on the size of duck the larger the area the better.what is going to be for the human area? feed, shavings etc

Last edited:
Yup storage and space to make fermented feed. 2sqft? Wow, I'll go with more space per duck I only have 4, but would like to hatch the occasional clutch.
Thank you.
That would be a good idea because a broody duck does need her privacy and doesn't like to share space when sitting or after the ducklings hatch. actually if your just now in the planning stage I'd have a special stall just for a broody, that way her and ducklings can have their own space and food etc and maybe their own door and run till 3 weeks old. making it so all can see each other but mom and ducklings are not harassed or picked on. When i have a broody I use my first chicken coop as my broodies house and nursery and temp fencing so when ducklings are 3 weeks old fence comes down everyone has met and ducklings can pretty much fend for themselves [get away if some one wants to give them a hard time.]or will you have a broody or hatch yourself? any case you'll still need a nursery for new ducklings till resident ducks get use to them. Good idea to have storage and feed room in summer I use my feed room for my fermented feed in winter it has to be in the house.

Last edited:
Broody hen or incubator we will see when the time comes. Thanks for the nursery idea... I think I will make it so I can section off a part of one of the chicken pens for that... Oh great idea thank you again, I'll also make the pen such that I can section it of too... Yes my FF is in the house too for now. Back to planning! :)

Broody hen or incubator we will see when the time comes. Thanks for the nursery idea... I think I will make it so I can section off a part of one of the chicken pens for that... Oh great idea thank you again, I'll also make the pen such that I can section it of too... Yes my FF is in the house too for now. Back to planning!
smile.png
Keep us updated and date to start.
smile.png

Can you lock them up at night? looks like any predator could easily make your ducks a meal. They sure are pretty.

Yeah the doors leading out on both sides latch shut and they are behind wire fencing at night. We let them out to roam when we're home during the day.

Back
Top Bottom