what dog for my chickens?

new breeder

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 17, 2013
Greece
hello , i start this thread t ask, can i have in the same yard chicken , ducks and 1 husky or german sheperd dog?

i want t have 1 mediun male dog (i like the dogs with their ears up :p ) i want it for protection of my animals( and for alarm for the house) i dont have a big yard but i will take him with my everyday jigging....

what are you saying?

I would say Labradors
They are very good with kids and they are loyal I have bread these for years and found that they are the best and easiest to train
One day to test my lab I put my hood up and tapped on the window he bared his teeth at me and tried to snap me through the window once he saw who I was he calmed down
If your Labrador has the right temperament he can be trained to do anything

I would suggest against husky on a general basis as they are a high prey drive breed. I have owned huskies before and they generally aren't well suited for that kind of work though there will be an exception to every breed. You can never assume how a dog will act with 100% percent certainty with any breed. Not every dog will get the biological memo on how they are suppose to behave. The Great Pyrenese breed is often used to guard livestock, though no breed in specific was bred to guard chickens so a close eye and regular firm training of any dog is a must.

Last edited:
well its my first time t have a back yard dog, (we have a lot of dogs in the agricultural store but they are big and not so good with animals.... i was thinking about greek sheperd , but they are big for my house :p (labrador is the very good kind of dogs, i will think a lot about it ;)

he.gif
and i love them, the color of the body, of the eyes.. this kind of ears..

but huskies are out of the list ( well the weather in Greece is not so good for them...)

Last edited:
In my opinion, it's generally not necessarily the breed of the dog so much as the time and training you are able to put into it. I agree that some dogs - no matter how much time you have to put into them are not good first time dogs. What I'm trying to say is, even the best, most gentle breeds of dogs can be problematic if you don't work with them.

What breeds are available in Greece? Ask around, maybe someone who know dogs there can help you out.

Last edited:
available is every breed here, but the thing is that i love the triangle ears, but i need a mideum dog that the "genes" are for protection and not for attacking, i have free time, and my wife too, we can try t train him but it is first time with dog in the backyard and if can be easyest it willbe better!!!

Back
Top Bottom