What Duck Breed Should I Get?

akf93

Songster
Jun 22, 2022
NE Indiana
Hi there!

I’m planning on getting two more female ducks in the spring. I have two Khaki Campbells right now. Absolutely LOVE them! Especially my daily eggs. 😁 I’m wondering if there is another breed I might try adding just to mix it up a bit but I want something that is still EXCELLENT in the laying department. We get hot and humid summers and very cold winters. I also have 20 chickens that the ducklings would be raised and housed with. Any thoughts?

If you would want a smaller duck that is a great layer my Mallard is still laying and it is now December 9th in Ohio. I have two of them and one is still laying which makes me happy. The eggs are a light green and the size of a large chicken egg. They can fly and when I ordered mine from Metzer I asked for them to be pinioned so that they could not fly but they forgot to do it. I live in a housing development and did not want them flying over the fence into the neighbors yard that has big dogs that would kill them. I had to clip the wing for the first year and a half but now they seem to be alright and stay with my others while outside the pen in another fenced in part of the yard. Good luck with your decision.

My two Pekin (especially the big male) are my most personable and friendly.
My 2 cayuga are fun and friendly as well.
My 1 Silver Appleyard is my prettiest, craziest, and most popular amongst the other ducks...especially the males ;)

Back
Top Bottom