What ducks are best with chickens

I have Muscovy and Pekin ducks with geese and Chickens - Barred Rocks and NHR's. all free range together and eat together, but sleep in sperate coops. I have not had any problems, When I give scratch grain - there is a peking order - the geese eat first then the ducks and the chickens run in and out taking what they can.
smile.png

The chickens have their own water and layer pellets in thier coop (free choice) - Ducks and geese are given all flock once the chickens are locked up.

I have Muscovy and Pekin ducks with geese and Chickens - Barred Rocks and NHR's. all free range together and eat together, but sleep in sperate coops. I have not had any problems, When I give scratch grain - there is a peking order - the geese eat first then the ducks and the chickens run in and out taking what they can.
smile.png

The chickens have their own water and layer pellets in thier coop (free choice) - Ducks and geese are given all flock once the chickens are locked up.
Grassman I love the pic in your Avatar, Anymore where that one came from? and sorry to high jack the tread for a sec. There is a thread for Muscovy Lovers if you want to post there.
pop.gif

Last edited:
How do you get to the Muscovy thread? I started with 42 Muscovy ducks in the spring - 26 Whites and 16 various colors. My goal was to breed a self sustaining flock that could be used for meat - sales - some eggs - and enjoyment. I have 32 left as I cull down towards the ones I want as breeding stock - All the colored ones are left Not sure yet as to how many ducks I need to keep and then I will know how many drakes (about 6 to 1).

The Muscovy is quickly becoming my favorite bird.
Now I love my geese, but they can be pushy towards the others and noisy -
Pekins are nice but loud and keep their distance -
Chickens just do thier own thing

I enjoy going out early on the weekends and just watching the muscovys - This weekend one of our large outdoor cats jumped the fence to walk through their pasture, all the Muscovys clamly walked behind the cat and pushed him out of the pasture - It was fun to watch. I am sure you have many stories - I look forward to talking with fellow duck owners.

How do you get to the Muscovy thread? I started with 42 Muscovy ducks in the spring - 26 Whites and 16 various colors. My goal was to breed a self sustaining flock that could be used for meat - sales - some eggs - and enjoyment. I have 32 left as I cull down towards the ones I want as breeding stock - All the colored ones are left Not sure yet as to how many ducks I need to keep and then I will know how many drakes (about 6 to 1).

The Muscovy is quickly becoming my favorite bird.
Now I love my geese, but they can be pushy towards the others and noisy -
Pekins are nice but loud and keep their distance -
Chickens just do thier own thing

I enjoy going out early on the weekends and just watching the muscovys - This weekend one of our large outdoor cats jumped the fence to walk through their pasture, all the Muscovys clamly walked behind the cat and pushed him out of the pasture - It was fun to watch. I am sure you have many stories - I look forward to talking with fellow duck owners.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/130753/muscovy-keepers-share-your-pics

I have Cayugas with my chickens and I have never had a problem with my bantams messing with the ducks or vice versa. The only thing I can say is my oldest duck was raised with the chickens and she thinks she is a chicken... and that has caused some problems with her not bathing as much as she should but otherwise she is fine following her rooster around while the other ducks play in the water lol.

Its funny because I love having all different colors of chickens... and some how all I have are white and black chickens and ducks.

My Calls, Crested and 'scovies range and sleep with my chickens, pigeons and goose. Come winter the 'scovies and goose live in one house (with a few pigeons) and the calls and crested live with the chickens and other pigeons. Only Pinky (call drake) has a "thing" for small hens from time to time. But he just seems to prefer their company over the call hens. He was raised by a chicken and I think it messed him up a bit ;)

Back
Top Bottom