What feed do you reccommend I get and why?

I love all your advice I too am like FloridaFLAcoop....we have had our for a couple of months got them when they were already laying and really enjoying them....They are in a coop but I do try to let them out daily for a couple of hours to free range and dust. I give them green daily plus occasionally some plain yogurt and cotton cheese. The weather is getting a little cooler so have been giving them some warm oatmeal daily....is that too much? I also give them Nutrena Nature Wise Feather Fixer...When I let them out to free range I do throw some mill worms on the ground for them....should I be doing something else? Not sure if I should be giving them greens, etc on a daily basis. Since the time change my one chick has started molting and stopped producing eggs but my other hen still gives me at least one a day. Any advice as I am really having fun with them and want them to be healthy...Also FloridaFLAcoop welcome :)

Should I switch to layer feed then for all of mine? Since the pullets are at laying age, even though they won't lay during the winter probably?

I'm new, but I can't see it hurting them.
Do you free range at all?
I try to free range as much as I can, sometimes I can do it more than others.
I feel like, if they can get SOME food of their own, they'll naturally balance their own diets. KWIM?

We free range from dawn to dusk, plus have free choice oyster shells. The layers go through a ton of shell, I fill up the little feeder dish like once a week. (I think it's supposed to be a rabbit chow feeder, but it works perfectly!) I also have several feeders set up with a local brand of layer pellet (Cenex). They mow through it at an unbelievable rate in the winter, not so much in the summer. We rarely get snow though, so there's food for them year round on the ground. Some of my chickens live exclusively in our goat pasture, and roost up at night in the goats' barn. They've never had any feed at all, chick starter or otherwise, and they're doing great! Now if I could only find their eggs....

We free range from dawn to dusk, plus have free choice oyster shells. The layers go through a ton of shell, I fill up the little feeder dish like once a week. (I think it's supposed to be a rabbit chow feeder, but it works perfectly!) I also have several feeders set up with a local brand of layer pellet (Cenex). They mow through it at an unbelievable rate in the winter, not so much in the summer. We rarely get snow though, so there's food for them year round on the ground. Some of my chickens live exclusively in our goat pasture, and roost up at night in the goats' barn. They've never had any feed at all, chick starter or otherwise, and they're doing great! Now if I could only find their eggs....

I feel ya on the egg finding thing. =(

I like the idea of chickens that roost with goats; now THAT's multi-tasking!!! lol

I am surprised at the amount of people that use the expensive brand feeds. I guess I am lucky to like in a farming and ranching community with an awesome feed supply. I get a 50lb bag of layer for $10.15 and make my own scratch that consists of milo, corn, and wheat, (a 50lb bag of each) for just under $25! This usually last my flock of 27 (16 hens, 3 roos, and 8 pullets) for about 3 weeks! I also supplement them with egg shells, and healthy and fun kitchen scraps like spinach stems, pop-corn, watermelon rinds, and apple cores!

My girls are ALMOST to the point where they are paying for their own feed too! By spring I think I will actually be making a profit......until I buy my 'bator that is!

Chickens don't need to be expensive!

Back
Top Bottom