What feed do you reccommend I get and why?

I feed mine Dumor chicken feed. I buy the mash and crumbles all mixed together and sprinkle cracked corn on the ground to keep them busy during the day. I also feed them any left over food that is no use to me and they LOVE it.
1f49b.png
1f499.png
1f413.png
1f424.png
1f425.png
1f414.png

I get crumbles and cracked corn and other grains and mix them all together very well. I find this the most effective because then I can always change my feed to make up for any lack of nutrients. Crumbles is so much better because its easier for them to eat and they tend to scratch and knock it all over and they can still eat the crumbles off the ground unlike the mash.

I think my birds waste a lot of feed when in the crumble form. I buy pellets, if they scratch it out on the ground they will still eat it. I also supplement with scratch just because my birds love it. I can go out with a pint of scratch and all 30 birds come running and i get to socialize more with my birds that way. I even have some hens that if I sit down, instantly jump onto my lap assuming they are getting scratch. I do this several times a day if I am home.

I looked up my local associated feed store and go straight to the source to get feed. It is fresher and their quality is great. I have found their products to be great and cheaper than the purina and other name brands.

Here is one of the gals on my lap.
I do the same to my girls! I love when they gather around me! I have no problem with my flock eating the crumbles. Yes they make a mess but they manage to get it all throughout the day and have very little waste.

Ohh I forgot about oreos and crackers.
They eat the horse poo too, but they are not our horses and they just eat grass. I think that makes the horses Organic. I asked the chickens if they preferred organic.... They looked at me for a second and went back to eating the horse poo?

Just popping on to this thread now. My little chicken just started laying (I've gotten two eggs so far) and I dutifully switched her over to "big girl food"--the feed store recommending Home Grown Layer. The thing is, it really looks like she is not eating very much of it. I mean, she's nibbled a tad out of my hand, but I never see her at the feeder eating.....she just hunts and pecks out in her run.
Should I be worried that she isn't eating this big time, or will she just eventually settle in to the new food.

I have 3 red sex link hens 1 year old. I feed them purina layer feed. I have heard that I should give them some crushed oyster shells. If so what type and do you mix it with there pellets? My girls look healthy and I get 3 eggs. A day. Help!,

I am surprised at the amount of people that use the expensive brand feeds. I guess I am lucky to like in a farming and ranching community with an awesome feed supply. I get a 50lb bag of layer for $10.15 and make my own scratch that consists of milo, corn, and wheat, (a 50lb bag of each) for just under $25! This usually last my flock of 27 (16 hens, 3 roos, and 8 pullets) for about 3 weeks! I also supplement them with egg shells, and healthy and fun kitchen scraps like spinach stems, pop-corn, watermelon rinds, and apple cores!

My girls are ALMOST to the point where they are paying for their own feed too! By spring I think I will actually be making a profit......until I buy my 'bator that is!

Chickens don't need to be expensive!

A brood hen might save you on the brooder.

Just popping on to this thread now. My little chicken just started laying (I've gotten two eggs so far) and I dutifully switched her over to "big girl food"--the feed store recommending Home Grown Layer. The thing is, it really looks like she is not eating very much of it. I mean, she's nibbled a tad out of my hand, but I never see her at the feeder eating.....she just hunts and pecks out in her run.
Should I be worried that she isn't eating this big time, or will she just eventually settle in to the new food.
Mine tend to take a day or two to like a new food, then it's suddenly their FAVORITE EVER!!! lol

how many chickens do you have?

Back
Top Bottom