What feed do you reccommend I get and why?

I wouldn't have thought they needed animal protein until I saw one of my hens eat a whole frog on two different occasions. And I guess insects aren't plant protein.
Wow...Now that's wild!!!....I actually never would have thought that they would eat a frog..
idunno.gif
...Now i'll have to be ready in the Summer to record that one....

Wow...Now that's wild!!!....I actually never would have thought that they would eat a frog..
idunno.gif
...Now i'll have to be ready in the Summer to record that one....

Mine fight over toads all the time. They go scratching around under the back porch to find them, then they act like they don't have anything, then they run like mad when they think the other chickens aren't looking. It's hilarious.

If you want to record something, then catch a bunch of them for a few days and then give them one to record what they do. Then you could give them the rest as a treat for being such good actors and actresses.
wink.png

Back on the topic of the OP:
There are at least two posts about feeding fermented feed. One is in feeding & watering your flock and the other is in something about meat birds.

I wouldn't have thought they needed animal protein until I saw one of my hens eat a whole frog on two different occasions.  And I guess insects aren't plant protein.
Contrary to popular belief, chickens are not herbivores. They are omnivores. They enjoy meat products along with insects, small animals, etc. Don't think if you died out in the pasture that your chickens wouldn't eat you. They would. (nasty thought, but true)

It drives me crazy that it is extremely difficult to find a food with animal based protein in it in my area. Purdue brags on feeding all vegetarian to their commercial flocks, but it isn't what chickens would eat if they had the choice.

I agree. I also don't like that feed is all vegetarian based. Chickens eat meat insects small animals even larger animals meat. I feed my chickens chicken and turkey sounds gross but they love it and its healthy for them. I give them the left over carcasses after it is finished by my family.

I do the same thing. And when we processed meat birds this fall, the layer flock was all over the guts and blood and stuff. Rather gruesome, but it is healthy for them.

Many of us here in the US with Swedish Flowers find they need liver and meat products when growing for optimal health.

I agree that chickens do not need a vegetarian-based diet. I, too, laugh at the commercials on TV that "brag" about feeding vegetarian diets! Those poor chickens!

My free range flock will eat anything that does not outrun them - frogs, snakes, lizards, worms, bugs, even mice! They also get any leftovers from the house - all types of meat included. They LOVE salmon skins and leftover salmon! I toss it all out, bones and all, even chicken and turkey carcasses, and they clean every bit of meat and cartilage off. Yum!

I agree that chickens do not need a vegetarian-based diet. I, too, laugh at the commercials on TV that "brag" about feeding vegetarian diets! Those poor chickens!

My free range flock will eat anything that does not outrun them - frogs, snakes, lizards, worms, bugs, even mice! They also get any leftovers from the house - all types of meat included. They LOVE salmon skins and leftover salmon! I toss it all out, bones and all, even chicken and turkey carcasses, and they clean every bit of meat and cartilage off. Yum!

I like salmon skin, but only if it's crispy.

My chickens eat everything in the yard too.

Are the bones safe for them (chicken and turkey, I mean)???

I like salmon skin, but only if it's crispy.

My chickens eat everything in the yard too.

Are the bones safe for them (chicken and turkey, I mean)???

They won't eat the bones, but they will pick them clean. Then you go out and pick the bones up (or your resident raccoon will).

Don't leave the bones where your pet dogs and cats can get them...might lead to an obstruction.

Back
Top Bottom