What feed do you reccommend I get and why?

I've also been giving mine more and more table scraps....Today my 8 month old's picked the Turkey clean....Tomorrow my 18 week olds are going to be picking a chicken carcass clean

I take photos every Thanksgiving of my chickens eating what is left of the turkey...then I send them to my Vegan sister. Okay, so I'm rude!
roll.png

Make sure you pick up the carcasses in the evening before predators find them.

I mix the following for my feed (I am not the person you asked):
organic layer pellets
organic chick starter
millet/birdseed
BOSS
split peas
rolled oats
rolled barley
wheat
organic whole corn
oyster shell
grit
redmond mineral conditioner
When it's all mixed up it looks delish!
If I run out of something I don't worry about it unless it is the chick starter, since that is my base (about 1/3).

I like Nature Smart organic feeds, also Rogue feeds, and Organic Pride.

If you dilute the vitamins in your feed make sure you provide greens or some other source of vitamins.

Last edited:
I mix the following for my feed (I am not the person you asked):
organic layer pellets
organic chick starter
millet/birdseed
BOSS
split peas
rolled oats
rolled barley
wheat
organic whole corn
oyster shell
grit
redmond mineral conditioner 
When it's all mixed up it looks delish!
If I run out of something I don't worry about it unless it is the chick starter, since that is my base (about 1/3).

I like Nature Smart organic feeds, also Rogue feeds, and Organic Pride.

If you dilute the vitamins in your feed make sure you provide greens or some other source of vitamins. 

Do you happen to know if you save $ mixing your own like this and if so how much do you save? I would think you would, if you bought the other ingredients in bulk.

I dont think you save by making your own just because you can buy bagged feed for so cheap but imo it isnt better just cheaper. I use the following not necessarily all at the same time as I rotate.

Oats
Quinea
Wheat germ
bulgar wheat
millet
non gmo corn (ground)
seseme seeds

I give mealworms and crickets also plus veggies.

Our birds are chowing down the crushed egg shells but will barely touch the oyster shell. They never did eat much of the oyster shell anyways and we've always fed non layer feed. Oh well, one less thing to buy!

Back
Top Bottom