What gender are these?

Looks like a pea comb/modified pea comb - so not pure SS. A bit early to be certain on this one. Post updated pics in a few weeks.

Same for your other chick like this one. Update will be needed.

Hmmm, I guess the SS were sold inaccurately. Not a big deal, just thought all of her hens (except for her Easter Egger) and roo were purebred and that the offspring were 1/2 and 1/2 (except for offspring from the SS hens).

So, just to recap what you think:
1. Ancona/Sussex mix - Is the other one you meant was too early?
2. Easter Egger/Sussex mix - rooster
3. Possibly Ancona - rooster
4. Buff Cochin/Sussex mix - rooster
5. Speckled Sussex - too early
6. Buff Orphingon/Sussex mix - probably rooster
7. Buff Orphingon/Sussex mix - probably rooster
8. Speckled Sussex - too early

Did I understand right?

Not really what I wanted to hear....lol. I don't mind a few roosters for meat but I thought I would get some pullets.

Looks like a pea comb/modified pea comb - so not pure SS.
Hmmm, I guess the SS were sold inaccurately. Not a big deal, just thought all of her hens (except for her Easter Egger) and roo were purebred and that the offspring were 1/2 and 1/2 (except for offspring from the SS hens).

That chick probably has the Easter Egger mother, instead of Speckled Sussex.

For the parent breeds you have listed, the Easter Egger probably has a pea comb, and all the rest should have single combs.

When you breed two chickens with single combs, all the chicks have single combs.

But when you cross single x pea, you can get pea combs in the chicks. So with a single comb father, and a pea comb chick, the mother should have a pea comb.

(You can go look at the combs in the adult flock and check-- if you find any that should have single combs but do not, then you can post a photo and we'll try to figure out what breed it really is.)

So I have eight chicks that will be five weeks old tomorrow. I got the hatching eggs from my daughter and we *think* we know what breed/breed mix they are. At least we know what the choices are. LOL The rooster for all of the chicks is a Speckled Sussex. Trying to determine the gender of each. These things are so hard to get pics of so I may need to try again for you guys. I'm going to be each of the eight in a different reply on this thread so as to hopefully not be too confused.

Here is a pic from a week ago of all 8 chicks together just for an overview of what I have.
From Left to Right (Rooster is Speckled Sussex for all eight so I will just list the Hen for each chick)
1. Ancona, 2. Easter Egger, 3.??Possibly Ancona, 4. Buff Cochin (feathered feet), 5. Pure Speckled Sussex, 6. & 7. Buff Orphington (no feathered feet for these 2)
and the one by itself is 8. Pure Speckled Sussex.

The only other breed of chicken she has that seems to not be represented here is a Rhode Island Red.

View attachment 3036986

#1 - Ancona/Speckled Sussex Mix

View attachment 3036980
Girl
#2 Easter EggerView attachment 3036987

View attachment 3036989In this last pic the Easter Egger is the far right closest bird.View attachment 3036990
Boy
#3 Possibly Ancona? Not really sure what this one is.
Boy. Possibly a Maran cross.
#4 Buff Cochin (feathered feet)
This one is the only one that still seems to have a lot of unfeathered areas. I even wondered if it was getting picked on but I've been out there for hours around them and have never seen it happen. They have a 26x6 coop and run that they have full access to 24 hrs/day so lots of room. And I've started letting them out 3 or 4 hours a day for supervised free ranging.
Not pure, another boy.
So this is more difficult. #5 & #8 are both pure Speckled Sussex. I can tell them apart in the pen but having more difficulty in the pics. One of them is almost twice as big as the other. The smaller one has almost no tail and the larger one has a long tail. This pic shows
(the 2 left birds of course)View attachment 3037010

2 middle birds, you can see the size difference and the tails.
View attachment 3037012

I think all of these are the larger one with the longer tail:

View attachment 3037014
I agree with Overo on these.
These are the Buff Orphington #6 & #7. I can't tell which is which in the pics or in the coops. I only have the one pic of the 2 together and one of there heads isn't showing so I don't know if you need another pic with them together. I'm guessing they are both pullets and if that is the case it doesn't matter which is which.
Boys. They have a lot of leakage and faults. Not sure if they are even pure.

Girl

Boy

Boy. Possibly a Maran cross.

Not pure, another boy.

I agree with Overo on these.

Boys. They have a lot of leakage and faults. Not sure if they are even pure.
NONE of them are pure, except possibly the Speckled Sussex. The chicks are being labeled with their mother's breeds, because they all have a Speckled Sussex father.

(Rooster is Speckled Sussex for all eight so I will just list the Hen for each chick)
1. Ancona, 2. Easter Egger, 3.??Possibly Ancona, 4. Buff Cochin (feathered feet), 5. Pure Speckled Sussex, 6. & 7. Buff Orphington (no feathered feet for these 2)
and the one by itself is 8. Pure Speckled Sussex.

Ok...ty for the responses. Sounds like I have a lot of roos.

I'm not sure if I communicated clearly about the breeds.

My daughter has a flock of what she bought and believed to be purebred hens and 1 roo (all from Tractor Supply/Orscheln). These eggs were from some combination of this roo and these hens. We weren't sure what was what as the eggs were all mixed up.

Her roo is supposedly a full Speckled Sussex.
Her hens supposedly full breeds Buff Cochin, Ancona, Buff Orphington, Speckled Sussex and Rhode Island Red. And she has 1 hen that is an Easter Egger (hybrid right?).

So we know that all of these chicks come from the supposedly full Speckled Sussex roo. It is then just a question of which hen they came from. We are guessing on those.

So we know that all of these chicks come from the supposedly full Speckled Sussex roo. It is then just a question of which hen they came from. We are guessing on those.
You can sort out some of them for sure, either now or as they grow.

Feathered feet came from Cochin mother-- you're right about that.

Pea comb would come from a mother with a pea comb (probably Easter Egger.)
If the Easter Egger has muffs on her face, any chicks with muffs are hers (unless another hen has muffs too--but those breeds shouldn't.)

Ancona and Speckled Susex both have white dots at the tips of the feathers (caused by the mottlinge gene.) Crossing them will also give chicks who grow white tips on their feathers. Because mottling is recessive, it will not show up properly on chicks with mothers of any other breeds (it may sort-of appear when they are young, but will disappear as they mature. The ones that have mottling from both parents should get even more white bits as they grow older.)

I would expect red chicks from the Rhode Island Red hen, and lighter or buff chicks from the Buff Orpington hen, but I'm not positive there.

We weren't sure what was what as the eggs were all mixed up.
If you how many chicks came from what color eggs, that might help sort out a few. I would expect the Easter Egger to lay greem, the Ancona to lay white, and all the rest to lay brown. But if you know how many green eggs hatched, and how many white eggs hatched, you would know how many chicks have each of those mothers. If ony one green egg hatched, then you only have one EE chick (and it's the one with the pea comb.)

My daughter has a flock of what she bought and believed to be purebred hens and 1 roo (all from Tractor Supply/Orscheln).
From those sources, the chickens would mostly be pure breeds, with just a few possible mixes (like Easter Eggers.) But I wonder if one of the "Speckled Sussex" hens is really a Spangled Russian Orloff? (Different comb type, plus muffs on the face.)

We only had one egg from the easter egger (green). All of the others were shades of brown. Can't remember if there was a white one. But am positive only 1 green egg.

Back
Top Bottom