What gender / bread is this beautiful chicken.

NoirTheChicken

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2023
We got it from our neighbor and they said it was a rooster but we're entirely unsure. It doesn't crow. To us it looks to be a hen but pictures of maran bread is saying its a rooster.
70A0A7A0-14DA-4256-B437-2B4035FAD780.jpeg
93E46C9D-3DDF-4268-9B89-D10841B85401.jpeg
1581863D-8494-48C5-98B3-787C566236D0.jpeg
B031709A-17EE-4947-8D73-5A43580AC1C4.jpeg

Looks like a mixed breed cockerel. Part Easter Egger, that’s how the muffs got there, and could be part Marans, because he has feathered legs.

Definitely a mixed cockerel going by his saddle feathers and pointed hackle feathers as for breed maybe Easter Egger x Light Brahma going by the muff, and feathered legs. He's a handsome devil though
Ah hes a really sweet boy, he lets me hold him all the time and is very gentle with our smaller chicks. We have bantams, ( miniature ones) and they're still pretty tiny. We also have semi older chicks that hangout with them. So far no problems.

Yeah that would help
I made a reply in another thread of someone asking about a chicken being female or male, i’m just copying what i said there since theres not really a point in re typing it all. View attachment 3565125
This is a rooster. First go to the face, the comb and wattle are very big. This is actually pretty normal to have for even a hen when full grown, however, roosters can develop this much more early on then hens, i’ve even had significant wattle and comb at week 4 for my cockerels.

Next go to the neck, the feathers there that are quite spikey are called hackle feathers. Hens have these feathers but theirs are rounded and not spikey.

Now look at the legs. Many roosters get red on the shank bit of the leg due to hormones, roosters also have thicker legs.

Now go to the overflow of feathers on the side there, those are called saddle feathers. Roosters have a overflow of them and they are again, pointed. Some do not have as many as others.

Roosters also have sickle feathers which drip from their tail and are exclusive to roosters. Often green (though hens can have a green sheen too so that isn’t a way to tell.)

I hope this helped you. Let me know if you have more questions.

Back
Top Bottom