What gender is my rooster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckin

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2023
ok so this is going to seem like a strange question. i have a chicken that looks like a rooster. everyone says he’s a rooster, he has spurs etc, BUT he acts like a hen. it feels wrong to give him a male gendered names, does anyone have experience with this? im worried he identifies more as a hen and im putting pressure and stress on him by treating him like a roosters. i havent seen anyone ask this before BUT has anyone had experience with transgendered chickens? ive heard of animals being transgendered and i know gender is a spectrum so im wondering if he leans towards being a hen… he sits on eggs in the nesting box, he doesnt strut, he’s submissive and very low on the pecking order, seems to have a feminine personality etc.
im concerned im putting unnecessary stress on him/her by treating him/her like a rooster. please tell me what i should do if you have any advice or experience with this. thanks.

ok so this is going to seem like a strange question. i have a chicken that looks like a rooster. everyone says he’s a rooster, he has spurs etc, BUT he acts like a hen. it feels wrong to give him a male gendered names, does anyone have experience with this? im worried he identifies more as a hen and im putting pressure and stress on him by treating him like a roosters. i havent seen anyone ask this before BUT has anyone had experience with transgendered chickens? ive heard of animals being transgendered and i know gender is a spectrum so im wondering if he leans towards being a hen… he sits on eggs in the nesting box, he doesnt strut, he’s submissive and very low on the pecking order, seems to have a feminine personality etc.
im concerned im putting unnecessary stress on him/her by treating him/her like a rooster. please tell me what i should do if you have any advice or experience with this. thanks.
Picture? Also, animals don’t have the mental capacity to be “trans”.

Just give him a neutral name, maybe? They really eont care either way. I have birds with names corresponding to their sex and birds that don't have names that correspond. Neither group responds

OP must be bored, with too much time on their hands.

Advice: if you are spending too much time with the chickens to where this is your key worry , then, spend less time with the chickens, let them be chickens in their own flock -they will figure it out. There is a term “pecking order” for a reason.

thank you for the help, but how do i talk about him/her to other people? like what pronouns should i use?
How about the bird laid an egg this morning! And it was a beautiful robins egg blue 💕

Accentuate the positive, focus on the wonderful gift you will be receiving from that gorgeous hen. If you don’t want her send her my way - she’s a beauty, I bet she lays lovely brown eggs when she starts to lay them 🌺

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom