WHAT GIVES?????!!! ARRRRRR! my loaves are falling!

codymax2

Songster
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Liverpool, NY
Hi, I hope to get some help here.

Ok , I am a recent whole wheat bread baker, they were coming out fine but now seem to be falling after I rise them in a pan? Can anyone tell me why this happens?? and how to STOP it!! I work so hard and then pllluuuh, they are still edible but I yern for a nice high loaf to slice for sandwiches. I'm using vital wheat gluten, and suggestion would be great!!! 'THANKS!!!!!

Are they falling on the first or second poof? If it is the second poof, you are waiting too long or jostling the pan too much.

OVERALL, you can help this problem by making some dough enhancer. Go to chickensintheroad.com, and search for "dough enhancer"

Second proof, and i let them rise in the oven this time and they still fell, after i turned the oven on???? am i rising them too fast maybe with too much heat?? i warm the oven on warm then shut it off and stick them in. thanks for your help
Quote:

Depends on how wet the dough is and your ambient humidity, I guess. It is so dry here, I can rise them all day, and they will never get over this:
img_9916.jpg

Less time for wet dough, more for longer? I think.

Quote:

Do you remove them when you preheat the oven? If you aren't I'd imagine that could be at least part of the trouble.

I can't give you an exact time on how long the second rise should be....it all depends on the weather that day and how
warm the room is.

Sounds like too much heat to me; somehow you are killing the yeast, i think.

I have turned the oven on to rise bread but turn it off and cool it some before putting the bread in.

Too much heat and don't turn on the oven while the loaves are in there... you want to put a warm loaf into a super hot oven. At least it seems that's what you're doing?

Anyway I have a recipe for fabulous no-fail whole-wheat bread if you want - it takes a little longer because it has 3 rises but it really is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom