WHAT GIVES?????!!! ARRRRRR! my loaves are falling!

Quote:
You need to post your recipe.....my french bread recipe has 3 rises too....makes the texture very nice.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Whole-Wheat-Bread-Hayes-13597

It really does a lot for the texture! Makes it light and fluffy which is difficult for a whole-wheat loaf sometimes. This is the recipe I always go to when I don't want to mess around with 'maybes' and need some bread. while it's fun to try other recipes and see what I get, this one has never failed me.

(bah for some reason the site isn't loading but I had the bookmark saved so I hope it's the right one!)

Quote:
You need to post your recipe.....my french bread recipe has 3 rises too....makes the texture very nice.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Whole-Wheat-Bread-Hayes-13597

It really does a lot for the texture! Makes it light and fluffy which is difficult for a whole-wheat loaf sometimes. This is the recipe I always go to when I don't want to mess around with 'maybes' and need some bread. while it's fun to try other recipes and see what I get, this one has never failed me.

(bah for some reason the site isn't loading but I had the bookmark saved so I hope it's the right one!)

Thanks....I'll have to try it.

try letting them rise for a shorter period of time in a COLD oven but with the light turned on and with a pan of warm water on the bottom rack..just as good as a professional proofing box. if that doesnt do it then your recipe isnt right somehow

There is a term in bread baking called "autolyse".... It is a process of letting the dough sit undisturbed to soak in the liquid. It is most valuable when making whole wheat breads. The bran in whole wheat bread is hard and has sharp edges, these sharp edges act like little knives when kneading and cuts the gluten strands which keeps a proper dough from forming. The autolyse cycle will soften the bran and make a much nicer loaf.

The process is simple. Just mix the dough ingredients together well....don't knead....and allow it to sit for an hour.

Come back after an hour and knead your dough. Then you will need to let it rise. At this point I give my dough another hour to develop.

Come back and shape the dough, place it in the pan and allow it to rise then bake as usual.

Back
Top Bottom