What goes into raising a friendly roo?

I have a buff orpington roo that is positively affectionate. He is young (4 months), but will nestle down on my arm and coo at me nonstop. Most of the roos I have will be going to freezer camp, but I'm probably going to end up keeping him if his personality doesn't wildly shift once hormones kick in.

Smart roos know who to suck up to early on...
wink.png

I borrowed a roo once when I didn't have one. and he had a bald spot on his but where the hens in his coop had plucked him. In my coop, my hen wanted to flirt with him, she noticed his but and decided to peck, when she did he looked back at her and said "ahou-w!" which is ow but emphasized.

Thays what people belive but I have done it nd saw too many roosters treated like baabiea to belive that.
So glad to hear that!
big_smile.png
One of my Mille Fleur d'Uccle cockerels squeaks to be picked up for cuddles, and I can't help but give in to his demand.
love.gif
I put him in my grandpa's hand today, and he turned into a tiny roo pancake. Gosh, I love that Piranha.
love.gif

~Alex

I agree with those saying a lot has to do with the breed. We have LF Brahmas and the 2 Roos are good boys. Our one big lavender columbian brahma will let us pick him up and trim his beak, spurs no problem. They get along well and are never agressive toward people. They are perfect gentlemen with the ladies too.

I raised 3 Australorp cockerels up over the winter. The first I attempted to desensitized to my presence and touch, the second I would occasional boss around and pick him up and tote him around the yard, the third revieced no attention at all. The first one turned out extremely aggressive at 4 months and continues to stomp about and bite me (drawing blood and ripping my skin many times), he is now 19 weeks old and is progressively becoming more aggressive to the pullets and hens when trying to breed them. The second is very kind to the pullets/hens and dances around so much for them, he is always talking to them and bring them treats he finds. However he will not take being pushed around or walked through, he immediately reacts to this by attacking my leg (with less success than his brother luckily).
The third is PERFECT! He ignores me even when I bother the hens/pullets, he moves out of my way and treats the girls very well. He is breeding the hens without damaging them (no ripped combs or missing feathers) and he is making sure they come in the coop before dark.

My advice... Wait until you can tell their sex at 4 weeks-10 weeks and then begin socializing the pullets only; Ignore the cockerels and don't worry too much.

We have had calm roosters for the most part from BCM, LB, Orpington. We have picked gentle breeds. I think it does have to do a lot with genetics as well as the breed chosen.

Something that someone told me to do with young chicks (pullets & cockerels - from day old was recommended) was to press each one down at least once a day or more and hold them there until they stop struggling to get away. We have even done this with a fiesty bantam silkie rooster that we got as an adult and this calmed him down.

I had heard about kicking, using hockey sticks and more. The problem with these methods for me is that they are aggressive in nature and I can see the possibility of it only breeding more aggressiveness (my opinion only). Also, wielding weapons only works if you don't miss your target. :S I wondered if there could be a better way & pressing them down seemed like a reasonable thing to try. So far it seems to be working.

Our kids pick up all of our big roosters and also still press them down daily. The silkie rooster gets pressed down only.

Back
Top Bottom