What goes into raising a friendly roo?

I have heard that if a rooster is raised by a mother chicken that they tend to be more scared of humans and less likely to view them as a threat to taking their flock. It seems little bit backwards but I was told to get a rooster that was raised by a mother chicken and they will be nice to my kids. I searched around and found one someone was giving away. We have had him for 6 months and he is great. Pays no attention to our kids, pretty scared of humans, just does his thing. Great protector (has fought a hawk in our yard) and has a few offspring in out flock as well.

It may just have been luck, who knows.

Just wondering, I read that some faverolles can get nasty. But also faverolle hens are docile and some roosters are too. Is faverolle one if the "it depends" breeds temper-wise?

My understanding based on reviews and what people have told me is that faverolles are more docile. In fact, they might be one of the more docile breeds out there. Perhaps someone who owns or has owned them could give you more insight.

Just wondering, I read that some faverolles can get nasty. But also faverolle hens are docile and some roosters are too. Is faverolle one if the "it depends" breeds temper-wise?

I have hatched many Faverolles over the years and have had to cull only 2 for aggression. Mine are breeder stock though. Hatchery stock may be a little more variable in temperament.

It helps to know what breed of rooster you have first. My next question would be is it hatchery stock or did you get it from a breeder?

If you got it from a hatchery, then there's no way to tell how he will be until he's grown. If he's from a breeder, he will more than likely have his father's temperament.

Otherwise, play it by ear. If your roo doesn't like to be touched or handled then don't do it. If he's displaying aggressive behavior(s) toward you (such as dropping one wing and doing the "rooster dance") pick him up and hold him firmly for a while. Depending on the severity of the situation, you can also lay him on his back, pet him roughly, smack his waddles around all while speaking very loudly and in a scary voice. This is NOT animal abuse, rather you're just showing him that you are the boss and not to be messed with.

If you have a docile roo, then there is not much you need to do except keep taking care of him the same way you do your other birds.

Roosters tend to go through a "rambunctious" stage anywhere from 4-7 months old depending on the breed. This is a time where they are very horny and will do stupid things because of their hormones. Don't let this scare you because after this is all over he can become a completely different bird than what you expected him to be. My guy kept pecking the hens away from food during this stage and when they were dust-bathing. Now he's calling them over food and waits patiently while they eat first! He doesn't bother them when they are dust-bathing neither. He ended up being a very good rooster, even though his father didn't have the best temperament.

You really don't know what you have until he's a year old but you can definitely cull him earlier if you see that he's being problematic. I would say if a rooster is more than 9 months old and is acting bad then you should seriously consider getting rid of him. There are way too many good roosters out there for you to waste your time on one that has a crappy attitude.

I agree that roosters are great. Not only because they look cool but they serve more of a purpose than just breeding. They add to the complex social structure of a flock as they not only protect but maintain order amongst everyone else. They are quick to point things out (good or bad) and do a good job. Roosters are a gamble because you almost never know how they will turn out, but when you get a good one it's like hitting the jackpot.

Hope this helps.
My rooster drops his winds,but never dances.Usually he drops his wings when his girls are around me,but regardless of that he never attacks me,the wing drop isn't always a sign of aggression.

If he does it to your hens he's trying to either mate or attract them or both. Depending how old he is and the circumstances, if he's doing it to you there may be trouble.

I have two roos that were pretty much raised together and they don't squabble unless one of them catches the other mating with a hen. then they just run each other off. Other than that, they're fine around each other. It's kind of funny, because one is a smaller, but not bantam golden duckwing phoenix and the other is a 13 pound Jersey Giant. The phoenix usually wins the squabbles!
I've never had an ounce of aggression shown towards me by the phoenix. Goliath only has charged me once, but that was because I picked up one of his ladies and she threw a squawking fit, so he was defending her. I did however, promptly pick him up by his feet and let him calm down, then carried him around for about thirty minutes until he was properly docile. He's never lunged again. (He hates being held).

Back
Top Bottom