What happened to Bianca's foot? (1 graphic photo)

Nic&Chickies

Songster
11 Years
Aug 23, 2010
New Britain, CT
I need other members' help in figuring out what this could be, and then, what to do about it.

A couple of days ago, we noticed that our WL, Bianca, seemed to be limping. Yesterday, my boyfriend pointed out that one foot looked oddly swollen, almost like a ball or something. Well, it just so happened that she got on the "wrong side" of the fence where they get to sorta-free-run; so I had to corner her and pick her up anyway, to put her back over
the fence. But since she's our most skittish hen, I figured this was my only opportunity to check her out. Keeping her close, I turned her over so he could see her foot (and then enlisted my step-daughter to take a picture with her smartphone, which I had her email to me, so I could post it here).
There seems to be a swollen ball, from which her toes extend, making her foot look almost like a sea-star. The problem that I think I found, is a dark spot, kind of in the middle.
ep.gif
(Is it possible for a very light-weight hen to step on a nail or something?) While I held her, DB tried to tweeze it, and even sought to tease it out with the tip of an X-acto knife (no needle handy, as I'd use if I got a sliver). He gave up when he found he couldn't grab hold of anything, and Bianca started squirming more.
securedownload

tn

So, any thoughts? Thanks
bow.gif
in advance for any help given.

Last edited:
Yes, it was bumblefoot. The word crossed my mind when we were first looking at her, but I (previously) thought that was some sort of problem chicks have (like Pasty-Butt), so I dismissed it. As soon as the first image came up in my search, I knew that was it: it could have been the photo we took, turned a bit. [That was an ordeal, trying to get that picture out of my Yahoo Mail, and onto my computer, so I could then upload it here. It just would not save! I even went to the Forum FAQs, and tried the one about the looooong picture address, and that still only netted the thin rectangle with the ubiquitous three-shapes, we-can't-get-your-picture icon!]

Anyway, we spent two hours and $204.00 at the vet's office. Yes, Two Hundred and Four dollars! Tune-up, what's that?! The car hasn't completely broken down, maybe next paycheck
hmm.png
. So now Bianca has a stylish hot-pink bandage on her right foot, gets to sleep in a single dog-crate cushioned with a towel and straw, and can look forward to me hand-feeding pills to her for 10 days.
For those who are interested: she was prescribed 250 mg. of the antibiotic Clavamox, that's 2 aspirin-sized pills per day, for 10 days, and 25 mg. of Rimadyl, (one-quarter tablet) for the inflammation, that's for 7 days. Friday, she'll go back so they take off the bandage, and hopefully it won't need any further medical intervention.

Back
Top Bottom