• BAd

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

camkim

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Pasadena, CA
My old flock (3 hens) will not stop harassing my new flock (2 hens). I've introduced them gradually for several months. I've had them separated right next to each other as the pullets were growing. After 2 months I placed the new 4 month old hens into the coop. I've tried to place them into the roost at night, provided treats, but still causing the new hens to bleed. I separated them inside the coop for 3 weeks and just gave up on separating them. I let them have at it. Now it's been a month later and the 2 new hens still are not part of the flock.

My friend is also having similar issues and we were thinking of swapping our top hens, Do you guys think that would be a good ir bad idea? Why, What would happen?

Thanks.

I think that swapping dominant hens would only stir things up worse. Depending upon the environment (pen size, etc.) and temperament of hens involved successful integration can take a long time. Personally I think the 'placing them on the roost at night' idea is very misleading. Chickens recognize strangers and USUALLY try to subordinate them. Make sure your pullets are getting enough to eat and drink and hopefully they will tough it out.

Back
Top Bottom