What I’m I doing wrong when processing my meat birds?

The bird may kick and fight for up to an hour after, but it is not alive.

This should not be happening in a proper carotid artery cut. The bird should die - as in no reactive movement - within 2-5 minutes. The the op, your cut is either not in the right location or not deep enough to accomplish the task properly. I have a feeling location is the issue since you tried so many times.

I agree with tree hugger that a razor sharp knife can make a huge difference. I used a scalpel with replaceable blades for a while until I learned how to get a good carbon steel knife really really sharp and now I just stromberg's killing knives and keep a diamond sharpening stone (and some good degreaser) close at hand.

This should not be happening in a proper carotid artery cut. The bird should die - as in no reactive movement - within 2-5 minutes. The the op, your cut is either not in the right location or not deep enough to accomplish the task properly. I have a feeling location is the issue since you tried so many times.
x2. 5 minutes TOPS. Check for death by observing the cloaca is totally still (not pulsing) and gently tapping the eyeball with your knife. No ocular response ensures insensibility and lets you know you can move on to scalding.

Very little experience here, but my friends and I processed four CX about a month ago. We used a cone and tree loppers to take the head off. I do believe they only flapped for a few minutes (I didn’t do the actual deed). Their head is off so you know they are dead, rather than dieing by bleeding out. That the way I feel anyway. We will tweak this method a bit next time, as their heads were still attached probably by a bit of tendon or something. Maybe double sided loppers or sharpen them even more (they were brand new). Oh, we also didn’t tie their legs.
Tree loopers? Never of them. I’ll look it up. But, I read that it’s important for the animal to bleed out? Thank you.

Tree loopers? Never of them. I’ll look it up. But, I read that it’s important for the animal to bleed out? Thank you.
It is important for the animal to die humanely. It is secondary to have a complete proper bleed. If you chop the head off, and it s hanging upside down, it will still bleed out sufficiently. It will just take a bit longer since the heart is no longer pumping.
Lopper: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bond-337...=sem&msclkid=5feabd74f8361310cf9ee2d701dea174

A good cone is worth its weight in gold. I like featherman the best. You want the process to be as stress free for both of you as possible. I hold the bird by the feet and let it calm down naturally, then fold the wings and lower it into the cone. I extend the neck and gently rub the feathers away from the artery area by the esophagus. If I do it right, the bird will close its eyes and actually go to sleep. Then one swift and deep cut through the artery. There should be a steady stream of blood rushing out. When I do it right, the bird never wakes up. They will thrash in the cone but that's just nervous reaction.

I have a friend who lacks the strength to get the cut deep enough with a knife. He uses pvc tubing cutters and takes the head off. If you would like a good instructional video, I'd be happy to post it for you. It's what I used to learn the process, but I did follow-up and go watch it done live during one of the processing days.

Please do send me the video. And I will consider the pvc cutter. Sounds like a solution for the lack of strength in my hands. I welcome more suggestions people thank you so much!❤️

It is important for the animal to die humanely. It is secondary to have a complete proper bleed. If you chop the head off, and it s hanging upside down, it will still bleed out sufficiently. It will just take a bit longer since the heart is no longer pumping.
Lopper: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bond-337...=sem&msclkid=5feabd74f8361310cf9ee2d701dea174
So that’s a tree looper. Yep I have one. I just called it a limb trimmer! 😂. Thank you. Will consider that also. 👍

Back
Top Bottom