What I Learned From My Awful Experience with Avian Flu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve long said the government’s approach to disease management is wrong headed. The solution isn’t to cull the birds that beat it, but instead allow the birds that will live to live and those that will die to die and let the survivors reproduce and pass their immunities down. Problem solved.

Don’t report suspicious birds. Handle it yourself.

I was so sad to hear your story. You have all my sympathy on the loss of such special pets.

Unfortunately for poultry keepers, recovered waterfowl can become carriers, and pose a serious ongoing problem for more susceptible birds - in particular chickens. Chickens and turkeys just die horribly in huge numbers. Caretakers can carry the virus on shoes, tires, clothing, and other fomites. Fortunately influenza is not very stable in the environment, as opposed to diseases such as Mareks, so eventually you can repopulate your flock, if you can stand to after such a loss.

There have been several flocks in Michigan culled as well. We are quite anxious about our flock as well - while we have no surface water near, we do see geese and ducks fly overhead, and there are many migratory birds on lakes only a few miles away.

I am not sure there is any good way to tell someone that they will loose all their birds. There have been others on here who have shared your pain - Farmerboy lost his whole flock a few years back to culling due to infectious disease.

I hope the happier memories of your pets eventually gives you comfort.

Last edited:
Not on APHIS, as of yet.
I wasn’t sure what APHIS was, but I see now you’re trying to say this story is fake.. I don’t know why you would assume that but to each their own 🤷🏼‍♀️ we have almost 100 more birds than we did 6 months ago and this isn’t the first instance where an entire flock has been culled, so not hard to believe imo.

I am in tears for you and this experience. There are no words that I can offer that will be adequate, but I am so incredibly sorry. This is unforgivable on the other side's behalf, especially since you were willing to comply with all quarantine measures.

I will be sending you every ounce of love that I can during this time. Your sweet babies will be playing in God's pond as you called it and waiting for the day they can greet you on the other side of the rainbow bridge. I hope each and every one of them rest in peace and paradise away from this cruel, cruel, world. Praying for you and your family ❤️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom