What if I breed a Black Astraulorp Rooster with a....?

Scottankarens

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2015
Scipio, IN
I'm starting to do some breeding in my back yard chickens and was curious where I could find the results. I've got (2) adult roosters; (1) Black Australorp and (1) Black Jersey Giant. The females I have are:

Isa Browns
Rhode Island Reds
Appenzellar Spitzhaubens
Polish
White Leghorn
Buff Orpington
Balck Australorp
Black Jersey Giant
Turken
Easter Egger

Can you any tell me what I would get I mixed any of the above mentioned combinations? I'm certain I'm not reinventing the wheel here :)

Thank you

Last edited:
I would breed pure. For what I know both these breeds are great for laying and meat I don't think they need improvement but if you're just experimenting I would breed Australorp to Jersey hen and Jersey cock to Australorp hen

If its just for fun, I'd say just let your birds do their thing and hatch the eggs. Most of those are really big birds, and the crosses from them should lay a lot of eggs and grow very large. Good dual purpose birds.

Black is a dominant color in chickens. So, with black roosters, you're going to get a lot of black chicks.

Crossing to the black hens will give you black chicks.
Crossing to the red hens will give you black chicks with red leakage.
Crossing to the sex link may give you some interesting babies. Their white gene basically turns black into white, so you might get some multi-colored chicks there.
The AS, I don't know. I think their coloring is recessive, so I think you'll get black chicks. With some of the AS characteristics, I think those are partially dominant.
Your white Leghorn likely carries dominant white. Chicks from her will probably be white with black flecks.Look up images of Austra white, along those lines.
Buff is one color that holds it's own against black a lot. These chicks will usually have both colors, gold and black. Very pretty, IMO.
Not knowing colors on your turken or EE, hard to say. But probably black with gold/red or silver leakage.

Oh, forgot the Polish. Again, depends on the color of the hen. But the crest is partially dominant, so chicks from her will have a partial crest.

Can't remember right off the genetics behind the Naked neck, but some of her babies should be naked also.

If your EE lay blue eggs, crossing them with a brown egger rooster should give pullets that lay green eggs. If your EE lay green, then you'll get a mix of green and brown egg laying pullet offspring.

Black is a dominant color in chickens. So, with black roosters, you're going to get a lot of black chicks.

Crossing to the black hens will give you black chicks.
Crossing to the red hens will give you black chicks with red leakage.
Crossing to the sex link may give you some interesting babies. Their white gene basically turns black into white, so you might get some multi-colored chicks there.
The AS, I don't know. I think their coloring is recessive, so I think you'll get black chicks. With some of the AS characteristics, I think those are partially dominant.
Your white Leghorn likely carries dominant white. Chicks from her will probably be white with black flecks.Look up images of Austra white, along those lines.
Buff is one color that holds it's own against black a lot. These chicks will usually have both colors, gold and black. Very pretty, IMO.
Not knowing colors on your turken or EE, hard to say. But probably black with gold/red or silver leakage.

Oh, forgot the Polish. Again, depends on the color of the hen. But the crest is partially dominant, so chicks from her will have a partial crest.

Can't remember right off the genetics behind the Naked neck, but some of her babies should be naked also.

If your EE lay blue eggs, crossing them with a brown egger rooster should give pullets that lay green eggs. If your EE lay green, then you'll get a mix of green and brown egg laying pullet offspring.
Thank you very much for your response! I found it very informative :)!!!

Back
Top Bottom