What in the world could be causing these foot injuries? (Scales scraped off?)

Amelise

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Southern U.S
This afternoon, I noticed my girl Agnes had spots on both of her feet that are bloody, and looks almost like the scales got scraped off somehow. This happened to one of my other girls a few months ago, (it turned into a large scab, which fell off, and the skin underneath healed but her scales aren’t completely grown back yet).
I was surprised to see these spots on Agnes’ feet this afternoon because I’m very sure they weren’t there just this morning! i don’t know how it happened, but I’d like to figure out how to prevent it from happening again.
I washed off her feet with hand soap and water and put on neosporin after the picture was taken.

Here are Agnes’ feet

IMG_2110.jpeg IMG_2111.jpeg

Here’s the girl that had the same thing and healed. You can see the bare spot where the injury was. IMG_2113.jpeg

What could have caused it? I really can’t think of anything besides maybe getting startled and accidentally scratching theirselves.

I can only think of scaly leg mites. Mites dig under the chickens scales and skin, eat it and then poop. This makes the scales flakey or fall off. It sometimes bleed too. I might be wrong though. You can find mite spray online, Its called nettex mite spray. Can you post a update on what they look like in a few hours or the next day?

I can only think of scaly leg mites. Mites dig under the chickens scales and skin, eat it and then poop. This makes the scales flakey or fall off. It sometimes bleed too. I might be wrong though. You can find mite spray online, Its called nettex mite spray. Can you post a update on what they look like in a few hours or the next day?
I’ll post an update tomorrow. I doubt it’s scaly leg mites though, because mites cause scales to fall off overtime, and these sores showed up within a day.

Nope, different hen this time.
Watch to see if she's picking at her feet or if another bird is picking at them during roosting.
If she's picking at her own feet, then give her a direct dose of Poultry Cell (1cc per 3lbs of weight) 3 times a week for a few weeks to see if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom