What in the world could be causing these foot injuries? (Scales scraped off?)

At this point, I’m pretty sure it’s something in the coop that’s hurting them or that they’re hurrying themselves on. I left Jolene in the coop today and her wounds look like they’ve healed over into scabs now. I let Agnes out of the run this afternoon and the wounds on her feet seem to have reopened a little bit (they’re bloody in small places). The other two must be smarter than Jolene and Agnes because they don’t have any foot injuries.
I’ll look through the run and send some pics of it. It’s pretty embarrassing because the run doesn’t look very good.
It’s makeshift, but we made it the best that we could for now.

On the ground next to their feet there is chicken wire and plastic netting that’s staked down. There’s also an area by the fence that’s covered over in chicken wire and there’s bricks covering a rabbit hole.
There are no plants other than st augustine and another type of grass. There is a pan with a stone in it, a bowl, and a waterer. Also a feeder that is removed when they are not in the run. There’s also a part of the run that is covered by a tarp for shade/shelter that reaches the ground as well. There’s also the wooden fence on the other side.

They might be scratching their feet on the wire. I’m not sure how to cover up the whole length of it, though.

Attachments

• IMG_2176.jpeg
    IMG_2176.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2181.jpeg
    IMG_2181.jpeg
    947.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2180.jpeg
    IMG_2180.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2179.jpeg
    IMG_2179.jpeg
    828.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2178.jpeg
    IMG_2178.jpeg
    833.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2177.jpeg
    IMG_2177.jpeg
    558 KB · Views: 7
I think they're scratching at the wire (pic #1), catching their foot in it hence to scales getting caught. Great how secure you have the bottom ... Just a thought, if you were to run a foot of that green plastic fence material along the bottom section of the wire, making like in barrier (pic #4)? Just a thought ...

I think they're scratching at the wire (pic #1), catching their foot in it hence to scales getting caught. Great how secure you have the bottom ... Just a thought, if you were to run a foot of that green plastic fence material along the bottom section of the wire, making like in barrier (pic #4)? Just a thought ...
That’s a good idea. I just need to buy some more, which might not be for a while.
I suppose Agnes and Jolene can stay in the coop and the other two can stay in the run during the times they’re not sleeping or out ranging each day. By the time I’m able to safety proof the wire, they should be healed up pretty well and can go back in the “modified” run.
If there’s no more injuries after that, I guess I’ll know what the problem was!

I’ll continue to soak in Epsom salt baths and apply neosporin everyday for their injury treatment.

I’ve still been putting only two of the girls in the run, and haven’t been able to modify it yet.

Thankfully, they are healing up!

The scabs are starting to dry up and peel off. I tried to pull some off, but stopped because the skin underneath is still raw. IMG_2349.jpeg IMG_2351.jpeg

I finally proofed the run today! I’m keeping my fingers crossed and hoping there won’t be any more foot injuries after this. Hopefully I fixed the problem! I haven’t got any pictures, but Agnes scabs are gone and I think her scales are growing back. Jolene has some smaller scabs but her feet are healing up too. IMG_2617.jpeg

I finally proofed the run today! I’m keeping my fingers crossed and hoping there won’t be any more foot injuries after this. Hopefully I fixed the problem! I haven’t got any pictures, but Agnes scabs are gone and I think her scales are growing back. Jolene has some smaller scabs but her feet are healing up too.View attachment 3621170
I hope that resolves the problem.
I'm glad to hear they are healing up, thank you for the update.

Back
Top Bottom