What is a good dog to have around chickens?

I dont know what ones are good...But 2 out of my 3 Rat terriers will pluck a chicken in a skinny minute! So Rat babies are not a good choice.
big_smile.png

we have, 2 GP's 1 irish wolfhound cross, 1 Black and tan coon hound, 1 Mini-Pini, all are great around the fowl

i suggest get a pup and put the time in needed to train it,

we raised these pups (all gone to good chicken homes now) they were born in the yard with chickens, their first sounds were chickens, when they opened their eyes they saw chickens ....their first meal off of mom they shared with chickens
20206_pups.jpg

i have a lab and he is good around the chickens, but labs are hunting dogs, so some might have a natural instinct to attack or retrieve chickens.

I dont know what ones are good...But 2 out of my 3 Rat terriers will pluck a chicken in a skinny minute! So Rat babies are not a good choice.

Yea I definitly agree with that, my rat terrier Daizee was a wonderful dog, but she killed the chickens.

My poodle likes the chickens, and my jack russel terrier leaves them alone. As it has been said, I would stay away from the working and hunting dogs, and go for a nice gentle breed. Maybe a golden retriever?

My friends Cocker Spaniel kills chickens also.

I think some breeds may be more prone to not be so good with chickens, but then again alot of it has to do with the dog itself.​

We don't have chickens yet, and we have a dog. I am hopeful he is good with them.

My friend in norco had an Australian Shepard who would chase the chickens. They had to keep him locked up when the hens were out and about. However, he wasn't a pup when they got the chickens.

Last edited:
My FILs Aussie is a chicken murdering toad.

Try searching the topic, this question has been asked dozens of times before.

We have.....
Male-Newfoundland/St. Bernard cross (8 years old)
Female-3/4 great pyrenese 1/4 border collie (2 years old)
Female- Aus. Shepard/Rat Terrior/Blue Tick Heeler (4 years old)
Male-Great Pyrenese (5 months old)
11--7/8 great pyrenese 1/8 border collie (8 for sale)

All are great around our birds. All are wonderful with all our animals actually. None have ever went after any of our animals. They all alert when something is out there....

Did I mention that 8 of the puppies are for sale...You should get one and train it from a puppy with your birds. (hint hint...I have a topic on the puppies for sale)

Back
Top Bottom