What is a normal reaction?

Yes, it is normal, but not necessarily safe. I use a look but don't touch method of introducing new flock members. The new littles are separated from the bigs so they can see each other, but not touch. I made wire cage inside my run for my current babies to spend time outside during the day and have a dog crate inside the coop for night.

Yes, it is normal, but not necessarily safe. I use a look but don't touch method of introducing new flock members. The new littles are separated from the bigs so they can see each other, but not touch. I made wire cage inside my run for my current babies to spend time outside during the day and have a dog crate inside the coop for night.
Thank you SO much!!!

In chicken society, if immature chickens enter the personal space of more mature chickens they are likely to get pecked. If they run away they may get chased a bit but usually they learn really quickly to avoid the more mature chickens. I'm wondering how much room you have since you only have 5 chickens total. The more room you have the easier this is.

If we knew how old the younger ones are (so we know more about temperature restrictions), how much room you have in the coop and outside, and maybe a few photos we might be able to give you specific suggestions. That's a lot easier if we know what you are working with. Without that we can only be generic and let you figure it out.

It often helps for them to get to know each other before they can get to each other. That's the look but don't touch mentioned above. House them across wire so they can see each other for a while. I'd want to do that at least a week but more time won't hurt.

Separate widely spaced feed and water stations can help so they can eat and drink without being bullied. Clutter can help. That's where you have things blocking line of sight so they can avoid being seen. That can be things to hide under, behind, or over.

Try to not force them to share a small space. Let the young avoid the older. If they sleep in separate buildings I'd be OK with that. If they do not want to sleep on the main roosts with the older I'd be very happy. I don't care where mine sleep as long as it is not in the nests and is somewhere predator proof.

People do this al the time, usually without problems. But it can turn deadly. Patience and giving them as much room as you can helps. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom